Variation on a Nano conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shingwell

I've just done a Nano-based conversion of my 2006 Brompton, but I did not want to use the Nano electrified luggage block/converted bag system, but instead to have the battery mounted somewhere on the frame.

I found a 36v bottle battery on eBay that is smaller than the usual ones, at 5.6Ah, so a bit more Brompton-size. I bought a spare so if I want to further I can take it in a bag (fits v.nicely in a C or T bag bottle pocket.) Just need to remove the battery to use "shopping mode". 20190802_161200.jpg 20190802_161121.jpg 20190802_161013.jpg 20190802_160903.jpg 20190802_160831.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the result. No fold problems (but heavier than before, obviously) and no bigger, gets me up a long steep hill in 5th that my dodgy knee had previously not managed, retained bag flexibility including none at all, and gets me where I want to go with the flexibility to go further.

kais01

Regular
good place for a battery. congrats:smile:

OP
OP
S

shingwell

good place for a battery. congrats:smile:
Thanks! The battery is locked to a carrier which is currently just cable-tied to the cross bar. I would quite like a more secure fixing - has anyone successfully drilled and tapped a B crossbar (eg for bottle carrier?) Is it thick enough to take a thread?

OP
OP
S

shingwell

Halfords do a thing that looks like a metal zip tie with bottle boss nuts on it, much better than drilling the frame.
Thanks, I'll check those out, still weighing up my options af the mo. Yes would prefer not to have to drill the bike, but also aiming to be able to leave the bike without the battery going missing (yeah I know you're supposed to be able to take the B with you everywhere but there are times when I'd like to be able to leave it locked up.)

Brocky49

Thanks! The battery is locked to a carrier which is currently just cable-tied to the cross bar. I would quite like a more secure fixing - has anyone successfully drilled and tapped a B crossbar (eg for bottle carrier?) Is it thick enough to take a thread?
Yes, I have drilled the frame to add a couple of M5 Rivnuts for a bottle holder. The kit contained rivnut sizes upto M8 but I would have thought M6 would be adequate for your application. See attached
IMG_0137.JPG

OP
OP
S

shingwell

Thank you! Rivnuts were just the job to finish it all off properly, in the end I used two M5s at the standard bottle holder spacing, which is fine for a small battery like this one, it doesn't weigh any more than a full bottle. I used stainless steel rivuts and bolts for rust reasons, and before fitting them painted the insides of the holes with two coats of Hammerite.

So job now finished if I can resist tinkering!

Top Bottom