ebike conversion mechanic manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpiste

Guru
I have a Raleigh e-bike that I love but also have an almost new road bike. I want to convert it to an e-bike but I`m not that good at bike mechanics. Are there any bike shops in South Manchester you could recommend? Also, if anyone is in the know, is this bike suitable for a conversion?
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15901365/calibre-rivelin-road-bike-15901365
Thanks in advance for any replies.
ps. I`m thinking rear or front hub.

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
I work at a bike charity as a volunteer mechanic. We have a guy who converts normal bikes to electric but a conversion isn't cheap. We're not in Manchester but I wouldn't try and convert that road bike you have. A conversion usually involves replacing either the front or back wheel with one with a motor in it. They weigh an absolute ton. You might be better off looking for a second hand road ebike that's got a mid drive motor. I'm sure there will be a lot of replies to your post so it'll be interesting to see who says what but from my limited experience, and having seen how these conversions are done, I wouldn't spoil a decent road bike by having it converted. Conversions IMO are more suited to hybrids but that's just an opinion.

By the way.....if you're out on a ride and have a puncture it's a challenge to change a tube. We do puncture repairs in the workshop and they're not an easy fix. If you have a mid drive it's a lot easier.

I work at a bike charity as a volunteer mechanic. We have a guy who converts normal bikes to electric but a conversion isn't cheap. We're not in Manchester but I wouldn't try and convert that road bike you have. A conversion usually involves replacing either the front or back wheel with one with a motor in it. They weigh an absolute ton. You might be better off looking for a second hand road ebike that's got a mid drive motor. I'm sure there will be a lot of replies to your post so it'll be interesting to see who says what but from my limited experience, and having seen how these conversions are done, I wouldn't spoil a decent road bike by having it converted. Conversions IMO are more suited to hybrids but that's just an opinion.

By the way.....if you're out on a ride and have a puncture it's a challenge to change a tube. We do puncture repairs in the workshop and they're not an easy fix. If you have a mid drive it's a lot easier.

I disagree on the puncture question
I have had 4 ebikes (long story!) and 3 have been rear wheel motor

2 of them have a plug on the power cable near the rear hub - unplug that and the rear wheel comes out just like a normal bike - just a bit heavier but easy enough to lift with no trouble at all

The first one (PowaCycle Salisbury) was more of a problem because the cable was hardwired from the battery all the way to the motor - but you could easily loosen the wheel nuts and lift the wheel out slightly - then remove the tyre and tube from the side without the cable
I had quite a few punctures before I found puncture proof tyres - and never had a problem with changing the tube - either on the road/track or at home
and this is without a proper stand - just normal flipping the bike over

I presume you weight comment was based on hub motors which as far bigger than mine have been - and hence possibly illegal for road use - which would explain the extra weight I suppose

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not sure why you'd want to convert it if you already have an ebike. You'll be limited to 15mph assist anyway, so what is the advantage over your existing Raleigh?

Surely better to keep as a lightweight non ebike?

Dadam

They don't have to weigh an absolute ton at all. I converted my hybrid with a MXUS XF08C hub motor via a kit from Woosh. I wanted to fit the Aikema 85SXC which is only 1.9kg but Woosh had stopped stocking that motor in their kits so had to go to XF08 which weighs 3.3kg.

The conversions aren't too hard, I'm fairly novice at bike mechanicking and did mine without too much bother. You'll need the usual set of bike tools including a cassette lock ring tool and a crank puller. The hardest part is making the cabling neat without gaffer tape all over your bike. The conversion is entirely reversible (with the slight exception that I drilled an extra hole in the downtube for a more securely fixed battery holder. If I reversed it, I'd blank it off or put in an extra bottle cage boss.

The Aikema motor is about the weight of the Mahle motor on my Orbea, and I wouldn't want to fit any heavier motor to a road bike. Worth bearing in mind the battery weight too, as most of the downtube packs are quite big and heavy: the market in conversions tends to favour power and range over lightness.

As long as your motor lead has a plug somewhere on the chainstay, changing the wheel is barely more effort than on a normal bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
it depends as well on original bike weight , a road bike could be maybe 8-9 kg so adding a 3 kg e bike adaption plus batteries could i suppose be a fair bit of weight in comparison compared to a hybrid/ mtb

sleuthey

Legendary Member
By the way.....if you're out on a ride and have a puncture it's a challenge to change a tube. We do puncture repairs in the workshop and they're not an easy fix. If you have a mid drive it's a lot easier

No longer got mine but I just used to keep cable ties and cutting pliers in my tool bag.

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
Not sure why you'd want to convert it if you already have an ebike. You'll be limited to 15mph assist anyway, so what is the advantage over your existing Raleigh?

Surely better to keep as a lightweight non ebike?

I have the Raleigh here in the UK but the other is in a second home in France. Cycling is still important to me but my health issues mean I need assistance. The roadie is almost brand new and, yes, I could sell it and buy a new ebike but the conversion seems a good answer.

OP
OP
carpiste

carpiste

Guru
Guys, as far as weight is concerned I`m really not that bothered. I don`t race, I`m happy trundling along in the fresh air at a steady 15mph. I don`t need to lift the bike over fences or obstacles. I just want advice on the best type of kit and if there are any bike mechanics in South Manchester to help fit. It`s isn`t something I need doing yesterday. I`ll be looking at mid May. Thanks for the replies so far. One thing I know is new puncture free tyres will be a good buy!

Dadam

Guys, as far as weight is concerned I`m really not that bothered. I don`t race, I`m happy trundling along in the fresh air at a steady 15mph. I don`t need to lift the bike over fences or obstacles. I just want advice on the best type of kit and if there are any bike mechanics in South Manchester to help fit. It`s isn`t something I need doing yesterday. I`ll be looking at mid May. Thanks for the replies so far. One thing I know is new puncture free tyres will be a good buy!

I put M+ on the hybrid e-commuter as I didn't fancy changing a tube at the side of the road in the dark in a sleet shower but it's the work of an extra 5-10 seconds to unplug and the same again to replug. I lubed the plug with silicone grease when fitting so it's not too stiff to pull out, also helps waterproof it. Instead of cable ties I use velcro straps to secure the cable to places I might need to remove it like the chainstay. Just from a roll of this stuff https://www.screwfix.com/p/velcro-brand-one-wrap-black-hook-loop-tape-5m-x-1/25024

dicko

Guru
I converted my Claude Butter hybrid to e bike using a Cytronex kit cost £1k and well worth it. Easy to convert and a really lovely ride with five levels of power to select. Easy removable battery too.

20230407_103410403_iOS.jpeg

Dadam

£1K!! My Woosh kit cost half that with 13AH lockable downtube battery and 45nm motor wheel, controller, LCD and all cabling.

Binhill1

I converted my Claude Butter hybrid to e bike using a Cytronex kit cost £1k and well worth it. Easy to convert and a really lovely ride with five levels of power to select. Easy removable battery too.

View attachment 722367

Hi Dicko I just read jour post. I'm thinking of fitting a Cytronex to my Dawes galaxy. Just wondering if you ever use it loaded up as I see you have a rear rack. Any information would be helpful. Regards ,colin

Top Bottom