Yose power Ebike my lack of knowledge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Georgezx9

Hi all all bought the YOSE ebike kit, 350w/36v and a 12.5 AH battery, which overall i am happy with, in discussion with YOSE over a couple of issues, but biggest concern is the UK lack of knowledge, so can I ask the same questions here, related to advanced settings.

There are various settings but don't understand how they affect me (in brackets is the option range)

4.21: Speed sensor selection [1-6], what does this do, i have already set
the output power of the motor in 3.8.
4.2.2: Direction of pedal assist sensor fwd or backwards - Understood.
4.2.3: Sensitivity of PAS [2-63], what does this actually do
4.2.4:Throttle I have not fitted, options are normal throttle or throttle enable, but what does this do?
4.2.5:Throttle , [y/n] throttle free control or limited to 6km/hr - I think?
4.2.6:Slowly start up setting [0-3], what does this actually do.
4.2.7: Max current setting (3-30a), is this not driven by the PAS
level and the amount of work the motor is doing, that will drive the
current, or is this a power limiting device, in effect a current
limiting device. If this was set say at 20 amps, with 5 PAS levels,
does this mean at max PAS the most current will be 20 amps.

my lack of ebike electric concept is going to show, 35w at36v, means a max current of 9.7amps, what do the 5 PAS levels do, do they allow me to use the 9.7 amps in increments of 5??, i.e at pas5 it will try to allow 9.7 amps to be used to assist. Why allow a setting of 30 amps

Also how do i set my bike up best.

Thanks in advance

I'm not getting at you - but feel I need to make sure that you are aware that the bike is not legal to ride on the roads, cycle paths etc - in the UK but other countries vary

Anything over 250W is basically a moped legally

Having said that the chances of you getting caught are very small - but it might well limit your ability to find a dealer who will work on it

anyway - not making any judgement - just so you know

Hi all all bought the YOSE ebike kit, 350w/36v and a 12.5 AH battery, which overall i am happy with, in discussion with YOSE over a couple of issues, but biggest concern is the UK lack of knowledge, so can I ask the same questions here, related to advanced settings.

There are various settings but don't understand how they affect me (in brackets is the option range)

4.21: Speed sensor selection [1-6], what does this do, i have already set
the output power of the motor in 3.8.
4.2.2: Direction of pedal assist sensor fwd or backwards - Understood.
4.2.3: Sensitivity of PAS [2-63], what does this actually do
4.2.4:Throttle I have not fitted, options are normal throttle or throttle enable, but what does this do?
4.2.5:Throttle , [y/n] throttle free control or limited to 6km/hr - I think?
4.2.6:Slowly start up setting [0-3], what does this actually do.
4.2.7: Max current setting (3-30a), is this not driven by the PAS
level and the amount of work the motor is doing, that will drive the
current, or is this a power limiting device, in effect a current
limiting device. If this was set say at 20 amps, with 5 PAS levels,
does this mean at max PAS the most current will be 20 amps.

my lack of ebike electric concept is going to show, 35w at36v, means a max current of 9.7amps, what do the 5 PAS levels do, do they allow me to use the 9.7 amps in increments of 5??, i.e at pas5 it will try to allow 9.7 amps to be used to assist. Why allow a setting of 30 amps

Also how do i set my bike up best.

Thanks in advance

That max current of 9.7A is basically the 350W setting. If you wanted to be more legal I guess this should be set at 7A which gives you 250W however it should be stated you can buy an off the shelf e-mountain bike legal for road use, Bosch mid-drive motor based that uses 23A at 36V which is well over 800W. The ebike legislation is very messy. The setting of 30A is probably the controller limit and probably shouldn't be set as this may not be safe for your battery pack as the discharge rate may be excessive plus supplying such current to the hub motor could destroy it. A 350W hub motor probably can take more current than that but not 3x its normal current more like a 500W maximum. Working your electronic components at safe levels not only keeps it legal but extends their lifespan. You are allowed a full function throttle on your ebike as its an ebike kit, the department for transport made an exception for ebike kits however the legal throttle cut off speed for the EU legislation is 6km/h so if you wanted to use the ebike in Europe that is the rule. The full speed throttle option is only for use in the UK as part of the 250W LPM sub class and that sub class as far as I can tell seems to be more restrictive on wattage i.e a true 250W ebike unlike the EU legislation.

If the kit is sold as 350W then that is probably the safe limits for it.

The police checks for ebike legality seem to be;

• Only assists to a max 17mph (15.5mph plus 10% tolerance)
  • Has pedals
  • Has a 250W rating sticker

As above - little the cops can check easily
so they would probably just check there is a sticker and the cut off speed
plus it can be ridden like a normal bike

I have heard that you can get stickers on the WWW - but CLEARLY that would not be legal ;-)
(but if it is not excessive with a hub motor the size of a dinner plate then who cares!)

Top Bottom