Ezee bike conversion kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pink Nigel Dean

I bought this conversion kit in 2012, and fitted it to my Nigel Dean tourer, which is where it still sits, as in this photo;

Nigel Dean.jpg

I've had many years of use from it, but only on short local trips, so it has never done any real mileage. Testament to this is the fact that the front (driving) wheel still has the same tyre it arrived with, which has never been replaced and still shows only minimal wear. I've now reached the point where I'm just a bit too long in the tooth to handle such a heavy bike safely, so it has to go, but I've come on here to ask your advice as to whether anyone is likely to be interested in it.

The kit is exactly the same as the one that Greentech ebikes still sell, here;

https://greentechebikes.com/products/ezee-electric-conversion-kit

It's in perfect working order, and both the planetary gears in the motor and the cells in the battery were replaced about 2 years ago, when one of the gears stripped and I left the battery uncharged for too long while I worked out what to do about it.

I'm selling the bike too, but think that it would be best to convert it back to non-electric and see if anyone is interested in the kit as a separate item. All advice gratefully received.

Sharky

Guru
Remember watching Nigel Dean at the Skol 6. He was a good rider.

It's a lovely bike, but being (a) pink, (b) a mixte and (c) old steel, its value is probably not as high as you would believe. Likewise, a front wheel motor kit is not worth very much money. You can buy a new one for £600ish, and that comes with a new battery.

The market for steel touring bikes seems very slow at the minute. I couldn't sell a fairly nice Dawes Horizon for £40 a few months ago.

It's a real shame - it looks to be a lovely bike made by one of the best small builders and would be ideal general transport for someone.

I would just stick it on eBay, but be prepared to not realise as much as it is worth. You could advertise it here for free, but frankly most of us are complete tightwads.

One thing you could do that might make it easier to handle is getting a new battery that fixes to the downtube somehow - there are various new types including bag mounted batteries. Bikes with rack batteries are really much more difficult to manage as the weight is very badly distributed. Try moving it around with the battery taped around the top tubes and see what I mean.

Last edited:
Feels like removing the ebike kit from the bike would sell for more money as kits with batteries go for reasonable money. The bike itself looks nice too but combined don't seem as appealing. Looks like a drop bar conversion would be easy which you could mention in the advert for the bike as it has cantilever brakes and would just need some drop bar brake levers and so an easy conversion to a touring bike. Looks like I can see a Reynolds symbol on those forks another selling point. I guess it depends on whether you still have the original front wheel.

OP
OP
P

Pink Nigel Dean

Thanks both for your helpful advice. I'm going to do as you suggest and sell the bike and conversion kit separately, it IS Reynolds 531, but I guess that's a bit old hat nowadays! Don't know about the colour being a downside though, have you seen the colours of some of the bikes on the Tour of Britain? Perhaps I should spray the downtube canary yellow...

Top Bottom