Ideal indoor trainer/wattbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you think is the ideal indoor setup. I am looking to have a permanent setup, which will be upstairs and not taken out. Should I consider Wattbike - have tried in the gym and used the app, or should I get a bike perhaps 2nd hand, put it on a smart trainer like the Tacx Flux Smart or the Wahoo Kickr

Aim is mainly to cover winter and bad weather and do Short interval sessions, training, maybe Zwift which I have not tried yet, but it is now available for Ipad so I could

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends on budget.

My Ribble 653 is set up permanently on a Tacx Smart Turbo. I just bring the laptop into the garage and use a tablet as well with Zwift (zwift has a companion app that makes life easier to issue commands. I have the tablet in a holder).

If using a bike don't forget to wipe down and GT85 it. I wiped but forgot to Gt85 and have some light corrosion on the underside of the top tube.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
wattbikes are great bits of kit, but i wouldn't own one, pricey and do not have the functionality of a smart trainer, i was is in the same position as you and opted for a kickr and a giant defy 3 as my indoor setup

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Yes I do have a smart trainer but do not like riding in the garage, this winter I had a broken shoulder, and would have definitely done more with an indoor setup.
Have used the Wattbike, but I agree that I was not convinced it was worth the extra and you get more functionality with a smart bike.

But the feel of the Wattbike is good, not tried a trainer that does not drive through the wheel yet, so don't know what they feel like

Watt Bike gets my vote. I have one and love it. Super solid platform, enough data for me to structure a winter training plan. Easy to keep clean and very low maintenance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Whatever you choose, make sure that it is not too noisy. I set up a bike on a cheap turbo trainer in a bedroom once and it made too much noise up there. The floor shook and transmitted noise through to the room below. I think the neighbours probably found it annoying too, though I stopped using the turbo in that room before they complained about it.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Dedicated turbo bike
Tacx Neo / Wahoo kickr (Tacx Flux is one to avoid for a while yet)
Gorilla GTV stand suitable for the screen size of your choosing
Massive fan
Wireless keyboard w/ touchpad mouse (just because)
Higher end pc/laptop to allow graphics to run on High or above (1440p ultra is stunning on my mid-ish range gaming system)

Subscription to zwift

OP
OP
Stonechat

Stonechat

Guru
Dedicated turbo bike
Tacx Neo / Wahoo kickr (Tacx Flux is one to avoid for a while yet)
Gorilla GTV stand suitable for the screen size of your choosing
Massive fan
Wireless keyboard w/ touchpad mouse (just because)
Higher end pc/laptop to allow graphics to run on High or above (1440p ultra is stunning on my mid-ish range gaming system)

Subscription to zwift
NO for the time being I do not want another PC in the house
This one is playing up - thought it was software but pretty convinced it is hardware. So replacement needed and it will not be upstairs
I think I mean Tack Neo, just got a bit confused

Top Bottom