Ideas for a dream steel bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leemo

Commuter
I acquired a pearsons "now you see me" steel single speed and I'm living the dream on this beaut.

Cost 800 quid and IMO that's plenty. 4k is serious athlete territory on my book, but wherever makes you happy...

tigger

Über Member
4 pages in and no mention of the British living legend Brian Rourke?

http://www.rourke.biz/index.shtml

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I acquired a pearsons "now you see me" steel single speed and I'm living the dream on this beaut.

Cost 800 quid and IMO that's plenty. 4k is serious athlete territory on my book, but wherever makes you happy...
£4k is the max and this will be a bike for life AND according to the AA calculator that's still a few grand less than a new car would cost me inc depreciation for a one year alone...so a bargain really.

fossala

Guru
I got hit by a car last year and am getting a lot of comp ( won't be for a while as I'm back in for more surgery in Jan). Misses said I can spend around 4-5k after it comes through. I have changed my mind over the last year so many times but it's always been some sort of hand made, made to measure frame. At the moment it is a chimera b.d. from woodrup. I think some on here has one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a nice £3,000 Genesis Volare 20 reviewed in this month's (DECEMBER 2013!!!) issue of Cycle Sport magazine. It's made of 931 steel rather than the more expensive 953 model at the top of the range.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
^ I'm sure its pretty good to ride but come on, you can dream bigger than a Genesis^_^ (I have one by the way so not hating, not one of them though)

I had a my mid life bike crisis a few years ago and opted for a Mercian. Amazing paint jobs that in the sunshine sparkle like a sun drenched pool that looks deep enough to swim in. As its a dream bike go for the spangly vincitore special version, I'd go for gears and you can still convert it to fixed/ss if you like at a later date. In fact one of the good things about old steel custom places like Mercian was that even if you went fixed, they could at a later date convert it to a geared for you, for a price of course, and may need a repaint, which though lovely, are not cheap.

I also loved the fact it was made in a shed or grubby workshop, allegedly by one bloke, in my mind one with a beard. It will take 6 months to arrive though so order early, and don't expect 21st centurary type email updates on its progress or prompt response to emails, the whole experience is old school:whistle: Gives you plenty of time to collect all the lovely components, this is part of the joy of the custom bike experience.

I think in my next late mid life crisis I'll go for a lugless Roberts Audax machine as they are my favoured local builder.

simon.r

Person
skinny-overview.jpg

http://www.shandcycles.com/frames/road/skinnymalinky-overview/

Not ridden one, but looks lovely IMO

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would never buy a 'bike for life' because for me, that would be one that was so expensive and so beautiful that it could never be replaced if something happened to it. I would be permanently worried about damaging it, or it getting stolen.

If I were rich enough to be able to own beautiful, expensive bikes and just replace them at will, then - yes, I'd go for that! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom