Ideas for a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there. After my specialized allez elite was pinched yesterday, I am in the Market for a new bike.

It will be used for the work commute, 6miles each way. Long rides at the weekends like London to Brighton or whitstable (the last two rides done). Also use it for races too. Popped into Evans just now and a suggestion was the Bmc race master. £1600. Ideas and comments welcome please. Thanks

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Any ideas people? Had a look at the bmc again, shop says it's good, what do you guys think?

Is it a fair weather commuter you're after, for £1600 you won't go far wrong.
Or are you after something a bit more practical but still sporty. I picked up a great training bike for £1450 last year a Kinesis Gran Fondo, although not fitted at the moment its got mounts for a rack and clearance for full mudguards.

From googling the BMC looks a sweet bike but not too practical for the work commute; I certainly wouldn't be taking a £1600 dream machine to work but that's up to you.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
Hi there. Thanks for responding. Yes it's going to be for a fast commute in, rides at weekends at the odd race. I don't think I will put mudguards or anything like that on the bike, I didn't on the last one. I will check your link when I get home. There are a couple of bmc and specialized I am thinking about, just not sure which one to go for. I took my previous bike into the office and would not consider leaving the new one outside -EVER lol. Thanks hlab

macp

Guru
Or go for one of the Specialized Secteur range which are more focused on comfort.

Even a Secteur sport will only cost around £600.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
hubgears: look good, far less maintenance, change gear when stationary. Superior in every way unless you compete.

Top Bottom