Ideas for central European tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
I'm planning a tour for June - I have a month. I want to cover a lot of countries! Was planning to get the Bike bus to Macon. From there head east through Switzerland to Liechtenstein, Austria and then head back through Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium. Other options are to go to Czech Republic - never been but would add a lot of miles. Will get home either via Calais or Hook of Holland. Any suggestions of cycling routes or places to visit welcome! Will be on my Dawes Super Galaxy touring bike.

Are you planning to come through the Stuttgart region? I know some of the local routes through the area, especially along the Neckar river which passes Stuttgart and leads to the Rhine.

Hi Robing,
That's a lot of riding in a month!
To hit all the countries on your list, and if you like river riding, head to Andermatt from Macon (no idea of a route for that), then follow the Rhine all the way back to the Hook of Holland. Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany & Holland are all covered.
You could branch off at Bonn if you really wanted to hit Belgium. (After Cologne the Rhine route becomes quite industrial until NL).
Or follow the Moselle from Koblenz to Luxembourg & from there through Belgium/Holland to Calais/Hook of Holland

Alternatively, have a look at Eurovelo 6 heading east and figure out where you want to turn north. (Head for Vienna, join Eurovelo 13 and you'll check off the Czech Republic too!)

Other well established routes to maybe help with generating ideas are:
The Romantisch Strasse (Fussen (D) - Wurzburg (D)
The VennBahn (Lux)- Aachen (D)

Happy Planning!

Frank

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Thanks Frank, I may be being a little ambitious in going for Austria and Czech. I could take EV17 through Switzerland and then pick up EV15 going north. I defo want to cycle through Luxembourg though and also the Ardennes. Some great suggestions!

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Are you planning to come through the Stuttgart region? I know some of the local routes through the area, especially along the Neckar river which passes Stuttgart and leads to the Rhine.
Hi Andy, yes it's quite likely I will pass through the Stuttgart region.

If I can help with suggestions, let me know. The route through Stuttgart isn't that clear.

I don't know where I'll be working by June, but if I'm around I could show you around Stuttgart and Esslingen (or show you the fastest way through, I wouldn't entirely blame you for that)

Top Bottom