Ideas needed - cycing in the Lake District tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
By chance, an opportunity has come my way to cadge a lift of my OH when he goes to a meeting near Workington tomorrow morning. It means an early start, but I thought it would make a nice change.

So I can be dropped off anywhere between Penrith & Workington and have around 4 to 5 hours available including lunch which I will take with me (I can't eat out due to dietry restrictions).

Anyone any ideas? I do know the Lakes quiet well - we used to live on Ullswater, got married in Penrith etc. It is a one-way ride. My OH will simply contact me/drive a pre-arranged route until he finds me and that will be the end of the ride - he will technically be at work (:whistle: ).

I was looking for around 50 miles or so on the road bike.

Nearly there

Veteran
Get dropped off in Cockermouth then head toward Keswick and loop Derwent water then out of Keswick on the windermere road then loop Thirlmere,go back toward Keswick and go back to Cockermouth via the back road of Bassenthwaite lake 55 miles 4000+ft of moderate climbing in total

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
There is the c2c route from Workington to Penrith. That'll be around 50 miles.
Sorry if this is too obvious.
Nope, not too obvious, though no huge desire to cycle alongside the A66. It is a road I know exceptionally well. I will have a look and see what route it takes. thank you
Why not follow some of the Fred Whitton route?
Now I will have to go and look that one up.
Cockermouth-lorton-whinlatter-braithwaite-newlands pass-buttermere-honister pass-Keswick-whinlatter pass back to cockermouth
that one sounds like a recipe to kill me rather than have an enjoyable day out! :whistle: Also I don't have to end up where I started, so I was thinking more of a 1 way ride, rather than I have to get back to the start ride. My OH will simply come and find me having confirmed which roads I will be on beforehand.
Get dropped off in Cockermouth then head toward Keswick and loop Derwent water then out of Keswick on the windermere road then loop Thirlmere,go back toward Keswick and go back to Cockermouth via the back road of Bassenthwaite lake 55 miles 4000+ft of moderate climbing in total
Some nice ideas. I might incorporate some of that. thank you.

D

Deleted member 23692

How about ... Penrith - Skelton - Caldbeck - Uldale - Castle Inn - Cockermouth - Gt Broughton - Camerton - Workington?

That's about 40mile skirting the north side of Skiddaw through some lovely countryside on backroads

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
How about ... Penrith - Skelton - Caldbeck - Uldale - Castle Inn - Cockermouth - Gt Broughton - Camerton - Workington?

That's about 40mile skirting the north side of Skiddaw through some lovely countryside on backroads

sounds good only my OH has just come home to let me know it is off :sad: for this week, but may still happen another day which gives me more time to work things out. Do like the sounds of that route. It is not somewhere I have walked or cycled before. nice idea, thank you.

D

Deleted member 23692

Glad you like it :smile: It really is wonderful countryside and you'll pretty much have the roads to yourself.

Weather tomorrow is forecast as a 20mph westerly, so it wouldn't be much fun with that in your face all day. Gonna sunny but cool again too

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
thanks - not too worried about the Kirkstone pass, have done it many times before (I used to live on Ullswater). regretfully the day is postponed. not sure when I will have another opportunity. if my OH can wrangle it so he drives up, I can cadge a lift. hopefully in a week or two (fingers crossed). top one looks interesting....

gam001

Über Member
thanks - not too worried about the Kirkstone pass, have done it many times before (I used to live on Ullswater). regretfully the day is postponed. not sure when I will have another opportunity. if my OH can wrangle it so he drives up, I can cadge a lift. hopefully in a week or two (fingers crossed). top one looks interesting....
If you look like your picture, I'll give you a lift myself :laugh:

Top Bottom