Identify a bird by its call

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is the call very different from the great tit? They have a variety of calls with very precise and rather piercing pitching. The RSPB gives this recording - it's only a two note example but if the range and timbre is similar it could be one. I think the tit's call is territorial and is most often heard in late winter and early spring but this year we've had a 2nd crop of calls around here.

Great Tit sounds likely, very similar to the chiffchaff in places, but more varied.

or, Song Thrush. tends to do a varied call, repeating each section three or four times before singing another phrase.

lots of Great Tits have gone into 'spring' mode here and doing the 'teacher teacher' call.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Maybe it's worth mentioning that the great tits around here went into a second mating/territorial call around the same time as the OP posted. They may have lost their first brood in the bad weather. This winter, though I've heard the call very occasionally, it's nothing like as pervasive. I don't know whether this is because they've had a very bad year or whether they've been driven off by the pair of parakeets who've taken to stripping the ash tree and raiding the feeders outside my living room window.

Top Bottom