Identifying my brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I think my pads are worn down, so need to order some new ones.

Only problem is I can't tell which is appropriate. From what I was told when I bought the bike, it was a 105 groupset, but slwly finding out it's mixture. The callipers have no obvious branding on them. I can't tell if the pads are cartridge or not either.

Help, as always is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20210126_104143.jpg
    20210126_104143.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210126_104139.jpg
    20210126_104139.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210126_104133.jpg
    20210126_104133.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 7
Yep there cartridge brake pads. Probably 55mm in length.

There is a little grub screw on the back of the metal side to hold the pad in place.

They look like Tektro brakes of some sort.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
By the shape of them, they look like "Tektro" brakes. Perfectly good. 105's have a more recessed centering screw.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Any Shimano-style pads should fit. I personally go for pink ones on the front, as the fronts do most of the braking. The back pads aren't as important, and the black ones last longer.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Any Shimano-style pads should fit. I personally go for pink ones on the front, as the fronts do most of the braking. The back pads aren't as important, and the black ones last longer.
Pink ones? are they a different compound or something?

Ajax Bay

Guru
And if you want to get your brakes working more effectively for the rest of the winter/spring, buy Koolstop Dura2 Salmons. Normally £10 and as the others they come as a pair of inserts and slide into your shoes. Priority to fit them to the front brake, if necessary, swapping the black ones to the rear. Your blocks seem to have very little wear to me. How many miles so far? (@TheDoctor beat me to it, but with less detail :laugh: )
Blurb:

Salmon (Wet & Muddy)
DescriptionDescription Redesigned the Dura 2 inserts are lighter and thicker than the original Dura inserts. This model does not have a plow tip and it is thicker thus laster for a longer time. However it weights less than its predecessor thanks to the ingenious cut outs

Special Salmon compound for wet and muddy conditions

Specification
Water grooves
Reduced weight
Rim friendly compounds
7 mm contact ideal for narrow rims
Weight: ca. 11 g/pair

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pink ones? are they a different compound or something?

Yes - they're softer. They brake better but don't last as long.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
any brand pads of correct length will fit - all manufacture to same "standard "

BUT they are nowhere near worn, you might just need to tweak the barrel adjuster (extreme top left in pic 1) to get them biting better. 1/4 to 1/2 a turn will get the pads sat closer to the rims

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Either the barrel adjuster needs tweeking to tighten the cable a bit, or the slack in the cable needs taking up via loosening the clamp bolt whilst holding the calipers, pulling it tight and doing up the clamp. Then fine adjustment of the brakes.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pfffft. Brake pads soon look black anyway.
My bike is a complete bitsa - Sora front brake, Tektro rear, Acera rear mech, SRAM cassette, Revoshifter, an upright stem and riser bars.
And a weird asymmetrical rack arrangement, as one of the seatstay arms would interfere with the brake.
Mismatched pads are the least of its problems!

Top Bottom