Identifying old frameset ... maybe Holdsworth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I liberated a poor old unloved frame from my LBS recently and have been trying to identify it ever since. A couple of people mention Holdsworth because of the spearpoint lugs etc. I've put some pics here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dawes531/ ( ignore the other old rubbish )

A search for Holdsworth Cyclone came up with this 54 catalogue http://homepage.ntlw...com/nkilgariff/ and everything looks right but the weird "lips" on the top of the seat stays still elude me ??

Any Holdsworth buffs out there??

BTW Sorry the second link only comes up with a title page, to view the 54 catalogue plse select "models", Holdsworth and scroll down to 54 catalogue /Road

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I'm not an expert, but there are some pics here on Classic Lightweights - looks like a Cyclone to me! A nice find, anyway.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks Baggy, nice you you to get back to me. I'm a sucker this old stuff and Classic Lightweights is my bedtime read . Sad or what!!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Thanks Baggy, nice you you to get back to me. I'm a sucker this old stuff and Classic Lightweights is my bedtime read . Sad or what!!
I'm hardly going to agree you're sad as I also love old bikes!

It might be worth dropping Hilary Stone a line, as you probably know he's written a lot for Classic Lightweights and I'm sure will have an idea of exact make and how to date it etc, though it may take him a while to come back to you. He'll also have a load of bits and pieces suitable for your re-build...

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
PS - whatever you do, don't look at the old frames Hilary Stone has for sale :evil:

I hate you Baggy :biggrin: You didn't have to say that.... ( shakes piggy bank and counts pennies)
There are at least 4 that I really must have.

That site was new to me - now bookmarked for late night lusting

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
...well, I did say don't look! :tongue:

Given the age and quality of the frames the prices are pretty reasonable, luckily it's fairly rare to see 19/20" ones for sale otherwise my piggy-bank would be in dire straits!

If a Carlton Jewel in my size ever comes up I'm willing to re-mortgage.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Ooh, hadn't seen those pics before :wub:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Aha - the same bike is on Classic Lightweights but those pics are better. Look at the chrome sparkling inthe sunlight!

Once you've officially identified your frame are you going to have it repainted etc?

oldroadman

Veteran
It could be an old Holdsworth but not sure. The lugs look like an old nervex set, which was commonly used in the 60s. So the odds may be that it's a plian gauge tubing monster that weighs a lot and is not very lively. The fork rake and curve points to a touring type frame. Down tube pump pegs are very old so it may even be 50's or earlier. Be OK for a runabout hack, just check inside the seat tube and bracket shell (when you strip it to rebuild the bearings - you are doint that, eren't you!!) for rusting. A bit embarrassing when it crumbles underneath you....

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Aha - the same bike is on Classic Lightweights but those pics are better. Look at the chrome sparkling inthe sunlight!

Once you've officially identified your frame are you going to have it repainted etc?

I was thinking about it but now I'm cursed with indecision.

Oldroadman has put the mockers on it a bit :smile: ( thanks really, I'm grateful, my enthusiasm needs curbing where bikes are concerned)

My very first thought was "hack" when I got it home, stripped (it) and weighed it . 7 1/2 lbs seemed and awful lot for 531 or even Kromo. Then I E Bay'd it for an hour and two people suggested Holdsworth so I took it off pending further research.

LBS want £45 for the full bike and apart from the GB stem most of the bits were crap. Shot blast, powdercoat and laqueur =another £35

Big sigh... then you showed me the Hilary Stone site and for a few quid more I'd rather have one of his... not that need a 12th bike! :blush:

And wow that Jewel sure shimmers in the sun, I'd never heard of that model till today

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
The decision would be much easier if you knew what it was! There is a bit of info here about frame numbers, which you might already have seen might hold a clue to its identity.

My very first thought was "hack" when I got it home, stripped (it) and weighed it .
:biggrin: Glad you clarified that!

Big sigh... then you showed me the Hilary Stone site and for a few quid more I'd rather have one of his... not that need a 12th bike! :blush:
Think of it as preserving the UK's cycling heritage for the next generations! :smile:
The Armstrong Moth and Jack Hately are both appealing...

And wow that Jewel sure shimmers in the sun, I'd never heard of that model till today
Bagpuss is to blame for introducing me to that particular one...I'm a total sucker for chrome and that colour combination is lovely.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Jack Hately for me too. Very pretty. Might even be able to afford it if my stem continues on its upward path :tongue:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250793941937&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

BTW no frame number anywhere on the "maybe Holdsworth", Not even on the fork stem. I excavated all over the place with the aid of nitromors for anything else ie name, 531 decals etc. to no avail all the stripped bits are on the side you cant see in the pic :rolleyes:

Top Bottom