Identifying old frameset ... maybe Holdsworth ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Most points to a 50s Holdsworth, with Nervex lugs, but I'm with you on the fluted seat stays, not seen any quite like that. Having said that, they possibly built lots of non-standard stuff too in those days.
As for 531 plain gauge, it's fine, I've ridden mine since the 80s when I had it resprayed and upgraded the parts and it's a fabulous ride ... over the years the forks have slowly developed a twist :wacko: so she's the Turbo mule for the moment, pending a new fork.
Mine's like this:

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0173 Compressed.JPG
    IMG_0173 Compressed.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0175 Compressed.JPG
    IMG_0175 Compressed.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 73
OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Thanks for the info FF, the mystery continues apace... There's a Classic Lightweight Rally at Longridge in May, I might take it with me and see what more I can find out. The 53 catalogue shows a liittle pen drawing in the ad and the both the headset lugs and the fork crown detail seem to be identical. Just found the frame number !! 16621. Its not a standard size (20 3/4 c to t, but the ad says that Holdsworth provide specially ordered smaller machines with a shorter top tube for " the pocket Hercules" .. no special spec for comfortably cushioned old blokes regrettabl.

BTW have you an exact year or yours... the fork crowns changed to ones like yours in 55 by the looks of it.

Fab Foodie

BTW have you an exact year or yours... the fork crowns changed to ones like yours in 55 by the looks of it.

I don't know exactly, but all the indications are earlyish 50s as you say, maybe '55. The original brakes were Mafac 'Racer' from around that time too.

Attachments

• Very Old Holdsworth.JPG
    Very Old Holdsworth.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 79

Fab Foodie

Biggest saddlebag in the world alert! Who's in it? :smile:

Ssshhhh, it's the one I carry Lord Lucan around in.

It's an old Karrimor and it's totally brilliant, best design I've seen for a large bag. I have a Carradice Camper Longflap and it's pants compared to the Karrimor. It's been very durable as well. We're old friends ....

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Thanks for the info FF, the mystery continues apace... There's a Classic Lightweight Rally at Longridge in May, I might take it with me and see what more I can find out.
That sounds like a good idea, just leave your wallet at home! At least you have a frame number to go on now.

I don't know exactly, but all the indications are earlyish 50s as you say, maybe '55. The original brakes were Mafac 'Racer' from around that time too.
She's a very dignified looking machine.

Fab Foodie

She's a very dignified looking machine.

As befits her owner :whistle:

Top Bottom