Idiot ... damaged new bike crank thread day 1.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikebike83

Hi all. Bought a Scott bike today, sooo excited.
being a complete idiot, I didn’t know the left pedal went on backwards, and I have ruined the thread.

i am having a hell of a hard time finding just the left arm part
shimano Deore fc mt500 b2 175mm

i am at the point where I will take the next closest thing......

does anyone have any ideas what to get, I get easily confused by all the digits and numbers.

i get it’s a 175mm arm, so can I just buy any shimano 175mm arm?

any amazon uk links or eBay uk would be amazing help.

im so miffed, new bike, can’t even ride it :sad:((

vickster

Legendary Member
Can the bike shop you bought the bike from help? Or any bike shop?
Or given you were fitting the pedals yourself, online purchase?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Try what Darius has suggested first. But any Hollowtech II crank will fit (temp. put up with 172.5) - and that will allow you to ride your new bike. The aesthetics can be addressed in slower time.

OP
OP
M

Mikebike83

thanks all.
I spent all night trying to find a part, impossible. Managed to source ultegra part, but didn’t have sufficient curve and kept hitting rear frame. Last resort, I screwed pedal in backwards to try and recut thread, and then put it on from the front.....mega tight. Seems ok. Hopefully won’t fall off and injure me.

have ordered new crank set just in case, but up and running !

tyred

Legendary Member
Just keep an eye to make sure it doesn't come loose. If it does it will allow movement and fretting and that is when you really will wreck the thread.

If it tightened up correctly in the first place I'd expect you'll have no more trouble with it.

A helicoil is another option to repair it if does give problems.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I feel your pain. Glad you got it at least workably-sorted :smile:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As you have successfully fitted the pedal, you could take it off again and apply some threadlock to the spindle and refit. This would help to stop it coming loose at some point in the future. Not a permanent fix but a good stop gap.

Top Bottom