Idiot jeep driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Right... First effort here.

Friday, pootling along home, decent enough pace, primary position, parked cars on the other side of the road. Jeep comes past with inches to spare, I flinch away as a result, and yell 'CAREFUL'. She then drives on and overtakes a cyclist who is indicating right; doesn't show in this footage I'm afraid, but that cyclist also gets bullied out of the way. The jeep then turns right, and of course gets stuck in traffic.

Close enough to hold on to his wing-mirror if you wanted a tow :rolleyes: :thumbsup: . Of course when a car gets that close your within your rights to hit it to let them know you are there. Any damage would be unfortunate..... :blush:

You'll need to angle your camera up a bit but otherwise good stuff. The more camera users the better! :laugh:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

magnatom said:
You'll need to angle your camera up a bit but otherwise good stuff. The more camera users the better! :blush:

Yeah, it was pointed down a bit that day. Still getting the hang of it :rolleyes:

It's surprising how much I need to angle my camera up! At a guess 20 degrees. I must be looking at my pedals the whole time..... :blush:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Of course when a car gets that close your within your rights to hit it to let them know you are there. Any damage would be unfortunate.

Had a similar situation last week. Slow moving traffic in town, everything crawling. I was in secondary, having just emerged from a cycle lane, with no gap to move across to the centre of the lane (it would have had to be a biggish gap as I was riding a 'bent and pulling a trailer). The car that had been behind pulled alongside me, then got closer and closer as the lane narrowed, pushing me into the kerb.

This all happened with us both moving at walking pace. When I began to worry that the car was going to squash my trailer, I patted the bonnet in a freindly sort of way - I didn't even have to reach out to do it, just drop my hand off the 'bars.

The car backed off. Hint taken.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

I think that we were both going a little briskly for tapping on her car. I'm happy doing that at walking, even jogging speed, but faster than that and I don't really want to be making contact if I can help it.

Very true cab. I've only ever slapped a car once and that was on it's back windscreen as it pulled out in front of me. We weren't going very fast at the time.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Cab said:
I think that we were both going a little briskly for tapping on her car. I'm happy doing that at walking, even jogging speed, but faster than that and I don't really want to be making contact if I can help it.

I wasn't suggesting it was appropriate in your case.

Just trying to indicate that there's a range of possibilities: sometimes a shout is all that's safe or appropriate - as clearly in your case.

I've banged on a few roofs and windows in my time - it gets a driver's attention like nothing else, although some get quite upset that you've dared to touch their car.

Unless you really feel the alternative is death or serious injury, damaging the car is unlikely to help much - it's only going to make the driver aggressive if he or she wasn't already.

In my example, there was no need to bang the car or shout. The fact that I could touch the car so easily seemed to make the point. Had the driver not withdrawn, I might have done something more demonstrative. (I suspect she was just being thoughtless, not deliberately pushy).

Licramite

Über Member
I whish I had a camera, going round a round about, indicate early to the cars coming on I,m coming off, put my hand back on the handlebar and start to cross to exit, bloody woman in a people carer cuts me up from the inside, she must have seen me and just barged past. stupidly I swerved away, next time i,m going for a long scrape along the side

Licramite

Über Member
admittedly I did pull out once from a bad junction and a cyclist crunched into my rear door.
he was coming down a steep hill, i looked but had to pull out to see up the hill, saw him so stopped - didn,t realize by now i,m halfway across the road, he was tucked in by the curb.
bang straight into my rear door, his headlamp was on because it when straight through my drivers side rear door window.

lesson is , cyclist are bloody hard to see from in a car, - so in allot of cases they haven,t seen you.

i hate cycling on roads. I go on tracks/bridlepaths as much as possible. - mind you you have to watch out for horse they go nuts if you pass from behind.

Top Bottom