If a bike is on order, but not paid for, can the price go up before I take delivery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

As the title says, if you order a bike but haven't paid anything, are you subject to price rises or are the LBS obliged to honor the agreed price?
With a few weeks left before delivery, the fall in the £ and all the other global uncertainty, it concerns me.
1st world problem I know.

vickster

Legendary Member
As the title says, if you order a bike but haven't paid anything, are you subject to price rises or are the LBS obliged to honor the agreed price?
With a few weeks left before delivery, the fall in the £ and all the other global uncertainty, it concerns me.

Do you have a piece of paper confirming the price, delivery timescale etc? Ask the bike shop if you can pay a deposit to secure the price?

I’m sure however their prices on 2022 bikes are set, the 2023s could be a different matter however

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Do you have a piece of paper confirming the price, delivery timescale etc? Ask the bike shop if you can pay a deposit to secure the price?

I’m sure however their prices on 2022 bikes are set, the 2023s could be a different matter however
No, just telephone and F2F discussions.
I offered a card deposit over the phone, but they said it wasn't neccessary.
It's a well established and reputable dealer.

You ordered it at an agreed price? Unless they told you that the final price could be higher its their problem. :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member

Just discuss your concern with them and get an order invoice in writing

Alex321

Veteran

Even F2F discussions create an implied contract at the agreed price.

If they are reputable, they won't try to change that now.

And they should have ordered it from the manufacturer/wholesaler also at an agreed price, so they shouldn't be out of pocket either if the price changes in the meantime.

A verbal contract is binding. Did you have any independent witnesses or evidence at all ?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Just spoke to them.
Bike is due week 45, so end of October to early November in the shop.
The price shouldn't changed as it's already ordered and 'in the system'.
Waiting for a new bike is like watching a clock for knocking off time, it seems to go backwards! :whistle:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Just spoke to them.
Waiting for a new bike is like watching a clock for knocking off time, it seems to go backwards! :whistle:

2 ticks forward , one tock back - as my late father used to say .

Chislenko

Veteran
I am more surprised in this day and age they didn't ask for a deposit especially if the bike was specific to you (colour scheme etc)

However if it was a "common bike" they may have took the view that even if the original customer changes his / her mind it would be good stock to sell.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Just spoke to them.

But you get 2023 spec, so hold on in there soldier!

postman

Legendary Member
I had this many years ago.I called their bluff.We had agreed the price,i paid that or i walked and they were left with an xl sized mountain bike,i saved £60, and i still have the bike.

Brandane

Legendary Member
But you get 2023 spec, so hold on in there soldier!

Which, in bike terms, probably means cost cutting. So Tiagra becomes Claris; those nice wheelsets are now made from cheese, and gone are the Schwalbe tires for something from the Ming-ho rubber corporation.

As an example, I MUCH prefer everything about my 10 year old Ridgeback Panorama compared to the later offerings. Even the paint job and logo stickers look so much better.

Top Bottom