"If cyclists wore hiviz & lights there wouldnt be any accidents!"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I am going to liaise with Admin to try and get a cross-forum sticky thread to get a No. 10 Downing Street Petition started, then hopefully with the power of the interweb, we can get enough signatures to have the issue at least discussed in parliament.

Motorcycles are further up the BMW owners 'food chain' than chunckychickens in my experience.

Nothing to do with the food chain!

It's about taking more care because they will do more damage to a car when hit!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I am saying 'collectively' as a nation, we are willing to allow a daily cull to take place on our roads with no sign of any government pressure to address it.

I am now registered with a Dutch cycle forum, and (with the help of Babelfish) trying to get contacts in the Netherlands to see if their (very powerful cycling body) can pressure their government into embarrasing ours at European level to do something. Obviously we (as cyclists) are too small a body compared to the car lobby, so what harm is there in drumming up some kindered spirit support from the strongest cycling lobby in the world?

No, I agree with you, and thats a great idea!

Could you possibly get them to send letters over to our papers to shame our system? Those that have travelled here by bike perhaps?

gbb

Legendary Member
No, I agree with you, and thats a great idea!

Could you possibly get them to send letters over to our papers to shame our system? Those that have travelled here by bike perhaps?
Not knocking what you're saying, but everything has a poitive and negative effect. It sounds like shaming our system may actually knock some realism into the authorities here.....but it'll also portray a negative message to people who may be considering cycling...then make them think 'stuff it if its that bad'.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Not knocking what you're saying, but everything has a poitive and negative effect. It sounds like shaming our system may actually knock some realism into the authorities here.....but it'll also portray a negative message to people who may be considering cycling...then make them think 'stuff it if its that bad'.

Well truth be told we can definately say its rare to get hurt, but there is an ugly undercurrent that needs addressing. We're at a point now where we need to address that ugliness and I think many would appreciate the honesty.

I also think that the success of the skyrides shows there is definately a desire to ride bikes and increase safety and respect.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

I understand that, but isn't it more responsible to accept there is a problem, and do something about it, than to bury our heads and carry on regardless hoping it will go away?

gbb

Legendary Member
I understand that, but isn't it more responsible to accept there is a problem, and do something about it, than to bury our heads and carry on regardless hoping it will go away?

Oh yes, i agree. Its a millstone round your neck sometimes...i ALWAYS try to see things from both sides, everything has a plus and a minus. No, just pointing out the (maybe) negative message it'll put out.

Flashing say "look at me"*

Steady says "track my path"

* A solitary flashing light simply says "I'm here.... no i'm not, i'm here now..... errr, actually i'm over here now" only continuous observation of the flashing light allows tracking and drivers have other hazards to track.

Yip, which is why I lean more towards flashing in an urban environment than steady, especially if there's lots of traffic and other cars with tail lights / brake lights.
I saw another cyclist recently with a fairly bright rear light which was flashing and steady at the same time. Seemed to be made up of about 4 leds in a row, which went brighter alternately. That was quite noticable for me, but of course I like looking at other bikes' stuff, so I'm probably not a good example of an 'average person' when it comes to spotting things.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nothing to do with the food chain!

It's about taking more care because they will do more damage to a car when hit!

Mebees you're right. Though a food chain is at work even if only locally. Small italian anticars are at the bottom of it, and I'm fairly sure the kinetic engery of a chunckchicken is more than that of a m'bike at the same speed.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
An admission

I always have my lights on when riding on road. Even my mtb has a smart 1/2 watt and a cheap torch up front as be seens.

And "you lot" have even persuaded me to don a hi-viz (flourescent plus broad refelctives) waistcoat for my commute.

I'm easily LED.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's an element of hi-viz turning into a kind of urban camouflage. I have a feeling that if ever you want to get into a high-security area your best bet would be to saunter up in hi-viz and people will tend to assume you're there on official business so they won't take as much notice.

Done that whilst at the Port of Holyhead. Hi-Vis vest put on purely because I wanted to visible not any other reason. Taking a picture of the ferry in dock.
Approached & asked what I was doing, taking a picture, led to them getting back into their car & driving away.

habibi

Ditched the routine wearing of hi-viz vest attire a couple of years back, and notice no real difference in road space offered by motorists. On the odd occasion I stick on a hi-viz over-the-shoulder belt in foggy or low light winter conditions, I note that motorists are far more likely to attempt abuse / intimidation for my resolute adoption of primary position, while I'm wearing the hi-viz belt.

Top Bottom