If I were in the Olympics....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just curious. If I did the road race distance and route on my hybrid I would be able to average 25km/h. If I had all the gear (cycle, clothing etc) of the olympic competitors , would it be fair to say using the same energy my speed would be around 30 km/h? Or is that still fanciful?

Just wanting to get a handle of what they can do?

Noodley

Buy a swimming cap and goggles and see what impact it has.

...and the flippers Chuffy

No. Not allowed. No.

biking-seal.jpg

400bhp

Guru
Just curious. If I did the road race distance and route on my hybrid I would be able to average 25km/h. If I had all the gear (cycle, clothing etc) of the olympic competitors , would it be fair to say using the same energy my speed would be around 30 km/h? Or is that still fanciful?

Just wanting to get a handle of what they can do?

No

swansonj

Guru
25 kph on a hybrid on a flat road with no wind is probably a power of around 130 W. (clearly the road race route involves hills so would require a higher power to average the same speed)
25 kph on a typical racing bike wearing a skinsuit is probably only around 100 W . You save maybe 15 W in reduced rolling resistance and maybe 20 W in reduced drag. I don't know how much better still the top professionals achieve.
Put the other way, your power output of 130 W would deliver only a modest increase to 28 kph on a racing bike.
Bradley Wiggins, I understand, routinely outputs over 400 W for a whole ride and can sustain nearer 500 W for significant periods (the world hour record on the track is also about 500W). Sprints involve nearer a kilowatt.
Better bikes help us go faster but not that much. The sad fact is that most people who cycle faster than we do do so not because they have a better bike, as we like to delude ourselves, but because they are fitter than us.

(calculations performed using Chris Juden's excellent Excel spreadsheet available on the CTC website)

OP
OP
M

Markymark

25 kph on a hybrid on a flat road with no wind is probably a power of around 130 W. (clearly the road race route involves hills so would require a higher power to average the same speed)
25 kph on a typical racing bike wearing a skinsuit is probably only around 100 W . You save maybe 15 W in reduced rolling resistance and maybe 20 W in reduced drag. I don't know how much better still the top professionals achieve.
Put the other way, your power output of 130 W would deliver only a modest increase to 28 kph on a racing bike.
Bradley Wiggins, I understand, routinely outputs over 400 W for a whole ride and can sustain nearer 500 W for significant periods (the world hour record on the track is also about 500W). Sprints involve nearer a kilowatt.
Better bikes help us go faster but not that much. The sad fact is that most people who cycle faster than we do do so not because they have a better bike, as we like to delude ourselves, but because they are fitter than us.

(calculations performed using Chris Juden's excellent Excel spreadsheet available on the CTC website)
That is just the sort of answer I was hoping for - thanks for taking the time. I really wanted to get a handle on what I saw and quite how fast he was compared to me.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Not that it really matters as the sentiment of your post is bang on. But the power of a sprinter is over that stated by a fair way, Cav reported doing about 1250-1400W and has said on a few occasions that his power output is a fair bit less than many of his competitors due to his riding style and compact aerodynamic position, other riders that power lift their way to the finish line ride at like 1800W for the final 20 seconds of the sprint and on the track Hoy has apparently claimed being able to blow 2000W or more.

Davidc

Guru
Wiggo would beat me over any distance no matter what handicap he was forced to accept.

Be much more fun being beaten by Victoria Pendleton though!

Top Bottom