If these fellas won't help...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eurygnomes

I cycle a counter cycle path along [url="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=petty+france,+westminster&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Petty+France,+Westminster,+London,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.499633,-0.135441&spn=0.006906,0.019205&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.499637,-0.135273&panoid=oDZwG8il6Xdui5rAhLstLQ&cbp=12,228.51,,0,12.34"]Petty France in Westminster, London[/url].

Apart from the fact that it frequently has signs advising the motored traffic to "use cycle lane" (oh - that's nice...now who has right of way, given I can't see the back of that sign telling others to put me at risk?) and is frequently crossed by numptys who plant themselves firmly in the cycle lane and has a section that says "cyclists dismount" to cross a driveway that's attended by men in DPM...

...it's really useful *phew*.

But sometimes; sometimes...somethign goes horribly awry.

IMAG1372.jpg

I suspect it has something to do with Westminster Wednesdays - isn't that they day when Westminster is picketed, frequently? Anyhow, last Wednesday, the attached is what greeted me. I was stupefied. There was no space to get INTO the cycling lane, but no sign saying "lane closed" or anythign like that. AND cars coming the (admittedly, correct) way, down the street.

Naturally, having circled back, taken a photo and continued on my way - I waddled my bike over the kerb past the van that has it's wheels in the lane (past which you couldn't cycle even if you were Victoria Beckham on a really thin bike!).

I wasn't sure whether this was the right place to put this - but seriously - shouldn't they just close the cycle lane to us fools who thought it meant something (look how the lane is treated in the streetview link!)?

P.S. The Westminster council employed street cleaners - on the other hand - are marvellous. They keep it really clear of debris. Two thumbs up!

subaqua

What’s the point
the police , whilst on operational duties can park where they like. or so i was told by a duty inspector at Ilford.

I did laugh later that day when they had a recovery vehicle pulling the ANPR van out of the soft verge. I had only called to tell them it wasn't a good idea, and thats where the Inspector butted in and spouted forth the classic " we can do .... " line. so i didn't tell hinm the vehicle would sink into the verge .

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Ha, would like to see the Duty Inspector try that with private land, the plod would have the t*ts sued off them.

@eurygnomes IMO your best bet is to join and raise the issue with the LCC. If you're already a member so much the better, and they may like a tip off to the issues affecting said road regardless.

You could also email the LA and ask that clearer signage is placed before entry into the road so as to avoid conflict or risk.

Mad at urage

Tell them (in a formal letter) that you believe these signs are incorrectly positioned, that you have photographic evidence of this and that in the event of injury or loss caused by any collision resulting from the incorrect signage: You (and any other cyclist who sees this on the internet) will sue them?

May be an empty threat, but will they know that?

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
And if the cycle path was on the "correct" side of the street it would be full of drinkers from the Buckingham Arms !

Top Bottom