If VW Made Locomotives...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To give an anoraks view the Class 37 has been in service 1960 and most remain with their original engine. The engine doesn't actually drive the loco, this is done through axle mounted electric motors. The one in the first pic is in 'Dutch' engineers yellow/grey with 'domino' head code boxes.I'm not too gened up on UK stuff as I'm more into US railways.
If anyone is interested I'm a closet railway modeller. I use a German made controller to operate my trains through Wi-Fi by a app on my smartphone/tablet. You can also use a facsimile of the drivers cab to operate the loco's controls prototypically. Great fun.
z21-db-br103-drivers-cab-[2]-35261-p.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
That's awesome! Is that modelled on a real locomotives control panel?

classic33

Leg End Member
To give an anoraks view the Class 37 has been in service 1960 and most remain with their original engine. The engine doesn't actually drive the loco, this is done through axle mounted electric motors. The one in the first pic is in 'Dutch' engineers yellow/grey with 'domino' head code boxes.I'm not too gened up on UK stuff as I'm more into US railways.
If anyone is interested I'm a closet railway modeller. I use a German made controller to operate my trains through Wi-Fi by a app on my smartphone/tablet. You can also use a facsimile of the drivers cab to operate the loco's controls prototypically. Great fun.
View attachment 353147
There's one out that will let you control up 9,999 locomotives on a single layout.

Fit the cameras to them and you can see where your going.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, you can even choose a particular model, although its currently limited to European types. As Classic says you can add a camera for full authenticity.

Control is now digital and a constant voltage is delivered to the track so the lights stay on when the train stops. I have a few sound enabled locos which give the authentic start up/shut down/running/horns etc. You can adjust every single running variable. One of my users manuals for sound runs to 67 pages. You can choose from a selection of horns as well as when brake squeal comes on, radiator fans and loads of other stuff. Its now a hobby in itself. And if you want smoke...

View: https://youtu.be/GAzz-OPrXCQ

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
View attachment 353147

Must be difficult keeping a long train on narrow tracks with that little steering wheel, especially at night or in a tunnel. :whistle:

:laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes, you can even choose a particular model, although its currently limited to European types. As Classic says you can add a camera for full authenticity.

Control is now digital and a constant voltage is delivered to the track so the lights stay on when the train stops. I have a few sound enabled locos which give the authentic start up/shut down/running/horns etc. You can adjust every single running variable. One of my users manuals for sound runs to 67 pages. You can choose from a selection of horns as well as when brake squeal comes on, radiator fans and loads of other stuff. Its now a hobby in itself. And if you want smoke...

View: https://youtu.be/GAzz-OPrXCQ

There's an American version, RTS I think, off the top of my head.

Drago

Legendary Member
You want diesel particulates with your hot snack and beer?

Ah yes, the new Passat. It's quite stylish for a VW.

Top Bottom