If you are an ex smoker, how did you go about quitting the habit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Crashed a Mountain Bike!

Mid 80's, fractures of Skull, Ribs, Collarbone, Pelvis and Hip.... After three weeks in bed went down to the NAAFI for a fag and it tasted awful, so decided that was it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I did it cold turkey stylee. I had used patches etc in the past but always went back.
I think being in the right state of mind and thinking about my nearest and dearest was what worked for me.

Norm

I didn't quit, I'm no quitter, I just decided to stop back in 1989.

I've smoked a bit since then, most recently for about 3 months in 2009, but I've never had a problem with them because Istop when I decide to stop, and I never quit.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I quit 14 years ago now. And I just stopped right out. I waited until I had about the worst cold I was likely to get, as that masked the withdrawal effects. Once I got to a week the physical weirdness that my body was going through (dizziness mainly) became a sort of self study which sort of depersonalised the whole thing. It also shocked me so much as to the hold it had over me it gave me lots of motivation to carry on.

Its whatever works for you though.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
What ever works for you is the way to go! For me, I always failed the challenge using any 'aids', seemed too obsessive somehow. I found the most important thing was TIMING! and more importantly .... my timing, not other peoples.
I finally stopped in June last year cold turkey. Didn't tell anyone (hated being constantly checked on with some folks just waiting for me to fail). Walked and cycled loads. I even kept my packet of cigs in exactly the same place and only chucked them out when I was comfortable to get on with life without them.
It's still a subject that I'm unable to have a discussion about with family and friends even though I can't say I think about smoking much now.
Oh, and I gave myself regular treats at the LBS ;)

tonyg52

Quit cold turkey over twenty years ago. Required just one major lifestyle change had to break the association of smoking with booze. Didn’t drink for over 5 years, best thing I ever did.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My motivation came from becomming a father.

Also, I became quite zealous when I looked into the history of the tobacco industry and how they tried to suppress medical research.

dongo

Regular
Decided to sort myself out a couple of years ago - finally got to the point where I really wanted to do it rather than just thinking it was a good idea. Stopped smoking, lost over 4 stones, cut back on the drinking, took up cycling and running, learnt to swim. I still bite my fingernails though, just can't seem to sort that one out. All just took willpower and determination.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I went to an all night party in my 20s, drank a lot of beer, smoked 60 B&H (and a few other things ...), got about 10 minutes sleep, went home on a beautiful summer day feeling like death, collapsed on my bed, wheezing and coughing, saying 'never again', watched the men's singles final from Wimbledon, realised that those superb athletes were young men about the same age as me, decided that killing myself with bad habits at such a young age wasn't smart, and so ... gave up smoking! I decided not to do it any more, and so I didn't.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Decided after nearly 8 years that I'd had enough. Started on the patch course and actually stopped it early. 4weeks on 20mg 2 on 15mg and 1 on 10mg

Will be 3 years in July :O

Den1966

i was a weekend smoker , get a pack after 3/4 pints , it took my mother getting lung cancer to make me stop ..

Top Bottom