If you had £100 to spend on accessories / upgrades what would you buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
Random question i know, but i've given myself £100 to spend on upgrading my road bike (Spesh Allez)

Without knowing too much about technical improvments what is the best part of the bike to spend money on.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Tyres will make the most notable difference. In fact, in the £100 budget they will probably be the only thing that will make any difference as the other major performance componants such as wheels will be low end stuff at that price.

Smokin Joe said:
Tyres will make the most notable difference. In fact, in the £100 budget they will probably be the only thing that will make any difference as the other major performance componants such as wheels will be low end stuff at that price.
Yip +1 that's what I thought.
My other ramblings: You could spent the money on a lighter chain/ cassette but I doubt you'd notice it much, if at all.
Perhaps you could change the pedal type too but depending what you've already got this may not be an upgrade.
At the cheaper end of the Spectrum you could consider new cables or a good service but they will only make it feel smother.

OP
OP
Paul_L

Paul_L

Über Member
ian turner said:
If it was new and unmodified then the pedals.
What have you changed so far ?
Oh and which version of the Allez ?

It's the Allez Triple.

The only mod is to put Shimano A520 touring type SPD pedals.

Tyres is not a bad shout. Thanks.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
If you haven't got one, a computer. Doesn't make the bike any faster, but it makes you faster, and you'll be setting yourself speed, distance and average speed targets. Just don't forget to look up at the road occasionally!

+1 for really good lights, or the best you can afford. They'll keep you riding in winter.

lukesdad

+1 for tyres.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'd buy a new front wheel. ( I found decent tyres made little difference on a naff wheel. ) Then save up for a matching rear wheel.
£100 will get you a handbuilt OpenPro on mid-range Shimano hub at Parkers.

Top Bottom