If you were camping deep in the forest....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
and in the middle of the night you heard this outside your tent, would you freak out or assume it was just Jade Goody tucking into a midnight snack? :biggrin:

Listening carefully, you can tell it's a man (rather than the mythical bigfoot it's claimed to be), but he's bloody good! :biggrin:

ash68

probably shoot myself,then run up the nearest tree in double quick time.

Melvil

Drunk glaswegian seeing a woman he fancies walking on the other side of the road?

Erm...I'd be scared, still!

sloe

Unfortunately my sound system is knacked.

Probably just as well because a girlfriend and I once shat ourselves one dark night because of a hedgehog blundering around between the inner and outer tent. Imagination is the greatest terror weapon.

col

Legendary Member
Went camping with my mates when we were at school.Pitched the tents in a field near a quarry,next to cheggy woods.Anyway,that night we were all settling down pretty late,and we heard someone coughing outside.We nearly shoot ourselves ,and froze,listening carefully, as you do.This went on for what seemed like ages.When it had been quiet for long enough,and one of us dared to stick their head out to look,it turned out to be a cow,bloody things sound human when they cough.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Foghat

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
It's actually part of a famous, much longer recording of similar grunts, howls and fairly bloodcurdling screams, made in the 1970s and purported to be a group of 'sasquatch'.

Needless to say, the cryptological claims for the origin of these sounds are cobblers, but the recording is quite noteworthy for the brilliantly wide range of sounds the fellow could produce by skilful vocalisation.

I think I might get the CD of the full recording, load it up on a music player and take some speakers out with me the next time I'm remote wild-camping, and give some unsuspecting campers a fright. :biggrin:

Anyway, the controversy continues over whether the recording is real or a hoax, but the fact remains it sounds pretty good, making it a damned fine hoax indeed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User76 said:
I would get out of the tent, strip myself stark bollock naked, cover myself in mud and fight it till it was dead:thumbsup: Then serve it to my family for breakfast:thumbsup:
You wouldn't if it really was Jade Goody :biggrin:

mondobongo

Über Member
I would assume the foetal position in the bottom 6 inches of my sleeping bag and hope it couldn't find me.

My best mate used to scare the living daylights out of couples parked in a field near a pub in Brentwood.
He'd have an 'old man' mask on, watch, in the dark, through the window at the amorous couple, then turn a torch on and shine it from below onto his face, then tap on the window, groaning and moaning! :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was once camping in a glen in Knoydart, when I was awoken by a horrible ghostly snickering whinnying noise. I lay sweating for a few minutes before I got the courage to have a look outside.... and saw an enormous white bird flying around in the moonlight. Must have been an owl but it was pretty spooky.

Top Bottom