I'll show you mine........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

According to the remains of the decal on the fork that's a Royale
Yes, that's why I thought mine might be a 'Royale but that's the only one I've ever found on the internet, and I kept ignoring it because of the racing handlebars and the 5 speed gears. As mine doesn't have anything else on it except 'Raleigh', I've been googling all these years and trying to decide if it's a 'Sprite' or a 'Royale'. That bottom photo is the only one I've ever found of a Raleigh Royale! The previous owner of mine must have changed the handlebars and the gears for some reason!

midlife

Guru
The 1962 Raleigh catalogue in the VVC library shows some nice bikes with the wrapover seat stays. It wasn't until later that the style appeared on lower end bikes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes, that's why I thought mine might be a 'Royale but that's the only one I've ever found on the internet, and I kept ignoring it because of the racing handlebars and the 5 speed gears. As mine doesn't have anything else on it except 'Raleigh', I've been googling all these years and trying to decide if it's a 'Sprite' or a 'Royale'. That bottom photo is the only one I've ever found of a Raleigh Royale! The previous owner of mine must have changed the handlebars and the gears for some reason!
It could have been available with either option from new. AFIAK the 'Royale' name has always been associated with touring bikes and some riders preferred hub gears for reliability

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

The 1962 Raleigh catalogue in the VVC library shows some nice bikes with the wrapover seat stays. It wasn't until later that the style appeared on lower end bikes.
Oh right, thank you. Would you agree then that mine is more likely 60's than 70's?

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

The seat stays are very Carlton so it may be a Worksop built model, does the frame number start with a W
Oh are they. My frame number is on the bottom bracket and is :- 99012DA. From info on Sheldon Brown website, it might be about 1964.

A new numbering system was introduced in 1955, though this ran concurrently with the old one for two years. The new system involved a second running letter, added to the first, which began at the start of the alphabet.
1956: 23839 A
1957: 27227 AB
1958: 17910 AD
1960: 27273 AE 1961: 13126 AF
1965/6: 40814 FD
1966: 64521 FE

midlife

Guru
I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star dealership in the 70's and its before my time.

For the most part Raleigh were pretty OCD about stamping numbers on their frames. Have a look at Kurtkaminer site on the net and see if you recognise the numbers. I'd post links but my crappy Lenovo tablet has lost the power of cut and paste lol

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star dealership in the 70's and its before my time.

For the most part Raleigh were pretty OCD about stamping numbers on their frames. Have a look at Kurtkaminer site on the net and see if you recognise the numbers. I'd post links but my crappy Lenovo tablet has lost the power of cut and paste lol
Oh you're the one to ask if people have later models then! It's before my time too, my bike looks like it might be the same age as me! ^_^. I did have a quick look at Kurtkaminer but that's confused me :scratch:. I'll have another look tomorrow! Thanks for all the info, it's nice of you. ^_^

Top Bottom