"I'll tell you when you're older"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My mum and stepfather sat my step sister (13) and me (14) down one evening and gave us a quiz of twenty questions on The Birds And The Bees which led on to a relaxed and fun discussion.

NickM

Veteran
Mine told me, of cream soda: "You wouldn't like it".

So I saved my pocket money and bought my own bottle. And I did :smile:

As for that other thing, they gave me a little book when I was seven and I certainly wasn't going to ask them any questions about its contents, eeeeeuuwww :tongue:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I think I knew more than them about it anyway. I knew how to stop having babies which was a concept mine didn't seem to fully grasp

ChrisKH

Guru
No, never. I recall asking my mother what adultery was when I was 8 and she said "Why, what have you heard? Who's been talking to you?" So I didn't bother after that. :smile:

I have had a very frank discussion with my eight year old, who once he gets something between his teeth doesn't let it go. So a simple question about where babies come from meant he got the whole lot before he went to bed. He wasn't too impressed ("What you mean that you did that to Mummy?"). He's probably forgotten about it now. Or spread it round the school playground which I have to say rather amuses me. Thirty sets of parents will be tackling the same issue about now. :tongue:

Maizie

Guru
I got a book to read when I was 11. Something mother'd picked up in a charity shop with a real 60s cover, entitled "Girl in to Woman".

Knew it all by then anyway, I think I learned one 'proper word' that I hadn't heard before. Two terms later, school dealt with it all...

U

User482

Mine did. Apparently my response was "oh, you mean having it off?". I was 8.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I am eternally grateful to the headmaster at my prep school who explained a big mystery to me. By the age of 10 I knew the mechanics of what was supposed to happen but I couldn't understand how I was going to get this little pink, wrinkled, rather smelly, floppy sausage inside a lady's front bottom. I agonised about it, imagining it would be like trying to stuff a marshmallow into a piggy bank.

Then one day near the end of summer term at the school our headmaster, one Caspar Tremlett Esq. sat us down for a 2 hour French class and cleared his throat then announced that instead of French we were going to have "the facts of life".

With difficulty and clear embarrassment he began: "Now... you boys all have a...... penis. And when you're not using it for urinating, you can be using it for..... making babies..." He then went on to explain the mechanics. I will never forget the wave of immense relief that flooded over me as I understood that THAT was the reason why it was always stiff in the morning and increasingly often during the day too. Being a budding mechanic I could see the structural advantage of stiffness straight away. Bless him, I have never forgotten that insight and how it relieved my worry.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I got a book from the school library when I was 5 and read it. I then proceeded to buy and read everything else available to me on the same subject. By the time I was 13 there wasn't a lot left for me to know so I began teaching the other boys at school about it as it wasn't being taught by the school.
The deputy head caught me and confiscated my whole library of useful books refusing to have 'such rubbish' within the school.

By 18 I had begun to practice what I head learnt and haven't looked back since. I still get the 'Wow!, where did you learn to do that?' every now and again.

When one is really good with one's hands and one knows what to do with one's wood one can get all sorts of complimentary comments about ones handiwork!

Maz

Guru
Night Train said:
When one is really good with one's hands and one knows what to do with one's wood one can get all sorts of complimentary comments about ones handiwork!
You're not talking about your carpentry now, are you?
Didn't think so...

Top Bottom