I'm 18 and want to start bike racing, where do I begin?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but my question seems fairly begginerish so I hope it's the right place. I've been rowing at a pretty high level for about 4 years now, but I'm done with that for the moment, anyway I like to think I'm in fairly good shape.But my looking around online hasn't really yielded any sort of club or racing that's targeted at people my age, most of it seems to be either super high level or, errr middle aged men (and women).

Just as a bit of further info I'm currently buzzing around on my Dads oldish rusty hybrid (I'm pretty sure thats what it is) and doing around 20-25 miles each day with a bigger ride on saturdays usually 30+. Try to sit around 16-17mph though I currently don't have the faintest clue how anyway gets up hills at any great speed.

Any advice?

Cheshire Celt

Legend
Get your self a bike and get out cycling

HovR

Über Member
Agreed, contact your local cycling club - most will run some sort of racing scheme. Just give it a go even if you do seem a little younger than some of the other contestants, they may be faster than you think.

If you've got a good bike shop they should also be able to tell you all about local clubs and races.

Regarding hills - If you're riding an oldish hybrid as you say, it may be quite heavy - and hill climbing is where weight really counts!

If you're looking for a good quality (and value for money) starter road bike to get in to the sport, look at the Triban 3 from Decathlon. Loads of people on here have bought it and have been very satisfied (just search "Triban 3" on these forums and you'll see all the threads about them!).

OP
OP
W

WannabeCyclist

Regular
Agreed, contact your local cycling club - most will run some sort of racing scheme. Just give it a go even if you do seem a little younger than some of the other contestants, they may be faster than you think.

If you've got a good bike shop they should also be able to tell you all about local clubs and races.

Regarding hills - If you're riding an oldish hybrid as you say, it may be quite heavy - and hill climbing is where weight really counts!

If you're looking for a good quality (and value for money) starter road bike to get in to the sport, look at the Triban 3 from Decathlon. Loads of people on here have bought it and have been very satisfied (just search "Triban 3" on these forums and you'll see all the threads about them!).

No no, I wasn't accusing people of being slow, there are always groups of these men on the roads on weekend mornings and they go straight past me :/. I was just wandering whether there were races for younger people.

HovR

Über Member
No no, I wasn't accusing people of being slow, there are always groups of these men on the roads on weekend mornings and they go straight past me :/. I was just wandering whether there were races for younger people.

I'm not sure about clubs near you, but I know my local club has junior and adult races, although with you being 18 I would have thought you'd be in the adult races?

I'd suggest joining a club and going on some of their Sunday rides - most clubs run "taster" rides anyone can participate in, or let non-members tag along on a few rides - Just give 'em a call and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you some information.

As your cycling fitness starts to build you'll soon be easily keeping up and overtaking the other cyclists you see on the road.

OP
OP
W

WannabeCyclist

Regular
I'm not sure about clubs near you, but I know my local club has junior and adult races, although with you being 18 I would have thought you'd be in the adult races?

I'd suggest joining a club and going on some of their Sunday rides - most clubs run "taster" rides anyone can participate in, or let non-members tag along on a few rides - Just give 'em a call and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you some information.

As your cycling fitness starts to build you'll soon be easily keeping up and overtaking the other cyclists you see on the road.

Thanks for the advice mate, I'll google clubs in my area for advice.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Don't ask Rob3rt! :smile:

Get as good a bike as you are able to afford (second-hand or new).

Contact a local cycling club and join and put the miles in. Then see how it goes.
You can practice signing your autograph in the meantime.

Good luck!

Why's that now? :tongue:

byegad

Legendary Member
The only legal racing, other than the odd specially sanctioned mass start race are Time Trials, google British Time Trials for them. Sportives, and Audax describe a ride on a prescribed route at your own speed, and a record is taken of your time. As a newbie you may find these a good way of building speed and comparing yourself to others.
Young people do take part in these but the average age will be nearer 60 than 18, don't let that worry you, just do your best to beat 'em!

Road Cycling clubs organise a variety of rides from the sort of sped you are making at the moment up to a lot faster, talk to your nearest ones to see which one(s) offer you the best ride. CTC run slower rides although some Local groups ride very fast too but expect stops for tea and cakes on most rides with them Road Clubs tend to ride further and faster.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The only legal racing, other than the odd specially sanctioned mass start race are Time Trials,
Er...there's a full season of road races ('mass-start') every year round the country . My club organises several, as do many of the other local clubs. As a beginner you'll be looking at events that accept 4th cat riders. I can find around 19 road races for 4th cats just in what's left of September.

Top Bottom