I'm a Great Uncle! What to get...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I'm afraid not :laugh:.

I was thinking more Scalextric :okay:.
She should be old enough for that by Christmas.

Yes, I was thinking of that too, but, didn’t know how to spell it ;)

bruce1530

Guru
Congrats.
I've got 2 young grandchildren, one born during lockdown, one just before. I asked my daughter what was the most useful gift anyone had given - she said "amazon vouchers" - the delivery guy was at their door pretty much every day!

winjim

Smash the cistern
When our children were born, my church cooked an evening meal for us for two weeks straight. It was great, no mess and little or no cooking beyond putting it in the oven plus we discovered some brilliant recipes that have become family favourites.
For the immediate moment this is the best idea. Feed the parents for the first few weeks, they will be exhausted. Also consider if you're buying for the parents or for the kid. Or both. Happy rested relaxed parents make for happier babies. Cleaning, gardening, odd jobs, simple things to make life a bit easier.

Other ideas: nappy washing service, encourage reusable nappies without the hassle of washing them. Or hire a box of reusables from the local nappy guru to see if they get on with them. (Newborns take smaller sizes but after a few months they move to a larger size which will last them until potty training)

Clothes: Don't get newborn stuff. They will have tons of it and will be overwhelmed. Also babies grow fast, they may only get a single wear out of it. Buy 6 months + at least. By that stage everyone's got bored and stopped buying them stuff. For good quality, ethical children's clothes consider the Scandi brands. Duns, Maxomorra, Villervalla, Lindex.

Sling: if they have a local sling surgery they can hire a few and the staff will help them out picking one to suit them before they commit to buy.

Hip seat: super useful for when the kid's a bit bigger and wants carrying but putting them on the hip is too cumbersome.

Snuzpod bedside cot: lets you have baby next to you in the bed but a bit more safely than full cosleeping. Pricey.

Toys: Wooden toys are nice and will last, better than some plastic tat which will only get thrown away. Grimms Wooden Rainbows are very much in vogue.

Anything from Babipur.

DRM

Guru
I'm afraid not :laugh:.

I was thinking more Scalextric :okay:.
She should be old enough for that by Christmas.
Get both, gives the child the choice of both, plus lots of extra track so it goes all over the house, then if the train/car doesn’t complete the loop you can send them to look for it, that used to drive Mrs DRM loopy,
Also a traction engine for when they’re older, my sons got one of these, and won’t part with it, despite being an adult now.
but they’ve certainly gone up in price, a lot!
https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/wilesco-steam-traction-engine-kit/

winjim

Smash the cistern
Agreed. A pamper session for mum would be appreciated if it'd be OK with them.
Good idea but make sure she has the time and energy and ability to attend it.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Start 'em young I say!!🧐

1638108894239.png

https://www.shein.co.uk/Baby-Plaid-...Xas5UQyv6TldEq5NQH32x8-EZcgic2dsaArftEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
As well as the usual baby stuff, look out for a "Baby's First Christmas", Xmas tree bauble. You can get them with the babies name on it as well if you have enough time. Then every year, when they decorate the tree, they will remember what a great Great Uncle you are.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Congratulation @Brandane!
A said upthread, a wee personal thing for Mum will be appreciated, some vouchers too, baby formula and nappies are expensive, clothes she will already have plenty.
I would open a private pension for the wee one, put a tenner a month in it (or whatever) till she is 18 ^_^

Top Bottom