I'm a grinder!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenz

I am getting a little confused here now.... can we have a bit of clarity on 'grinding'

60 - 65 rpm on a hill is perfectly respectable if the gradient is lets say 12% + ???
below 60 .. is 'grinding' territory ???
70 ---75 ---80 + is 'spinning' up the hill... ???

jimboalee

RavenZ.

Its comparative.

For me, 75 - 80 is natural. Below this is 'grinding', above this is 'spinning'.
For you, 85 - 90 might be natural. so below this will be grinding and above will be spinning.:rofl:

Who decided what rpm was spinning and what rpm was grinding ? :wacko:

Ravenz

jimboalee said:
Who decided what rpm was spinning and what rpm was grinding ? :wacko:

exactly... who did and can they own up..?

to me tho.. there is a rhythm to 60 + or so on a decent hill incline ...
so below that actually looks like someone struggling.. e.g. going past the Cheshire View on Mow Cop ... :rofl:
80 and + does look 'blistering' ...using the check of the 2001 Alp d'Huez.. now the vid might be playing a little 'fast' on my DIVx player but not much so...

and Ulrich doesnt to my eye look like he is grinding either..

col

Legendary Member
Im not sure of the spinning count, but for me if Im struggling and not speeding up Im grinding, if Im speeding up to a point where Im not really struggling and able to keep it going relatively easily Im spinning.

jimboalee

Machinehead is useful for calculating the speed vs cadence with his ratio sums,
but can you keep the revs in the long gears ????

You need to get on a turbo with power measurements (like Redbike's Tacx magic ) to see how much oomph you can muster, and how much oomph you can keep for an hour.

Then you need to estimate your coefficient of drag by freewheeling down a hill.

Then you can marry them all together and choose the gears that suit you.

There's another thread that talks about 50T rings and 11T sprockets. Is anyone who isn't a pro' able to keep 85 rpm for an hour in this gear? 30 miles !!
Probably not, its for downhilling ( or posing ).

If you can keep 200ish Watts for an hour, you could cruise along at 20 mph on a 53/17.

I ramble,,,,

Top Bottom