I'm a grinder!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spire

To the point
I thought 'optimum' cadence was 80-85??

Irrelevant to me; I'm a fellow grinder (about 60-65). "You pull big gears," some folk say condescendingly to me, then go quiet when I whizz past them up the hills!

Ravenz said:
What cadence are you doing when 'grinding'? ...

Last ride was 18 miles, net height gain just over 700' - average cadence 73, max 111. But, having looked at the graph of the data I was down to 60 much more than I was up to 80, in fact I only went above 80 a few times and only hit 100 twice (and that was with more than a few decent descents). I've got along way to go if I'm going to be able to go at around 90.

I'd like to be getting my cycling cadence close to my running cadence to ease transitions in duathlons, and to be honest my joints would probably benefit from a slight increase overall.

I can't afford to buy a fixed to practice pedalling technique, but are there any other drills I should be doing? Or is it practice and conditioning?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't think there's anything insanely bad about 60rpm on a steep(ish) hill. Anything above about 8% and it can go completely out of the window to any value with me. 5% and below I can handle. I just try and work keeping a sane cadence on particular hills I do regularly and it's worked on all but 2 hills. Doing it right on a 14% hill is going to take a long time.

To my very low level of knowledge it sounds like you might be naturally suited to that rather than doing it totally wrong. I used to grind on completely flat bits at 35-50rpm and it barely changed for hills. I now have correct things and cycle 60 to 110rpm. Cycling in the vale of York recently it was a completely different experience doing 100rpm for mile after mile.

Ravenz

Stig-OT-Dump said:
I can't afford to buy a fixed to practice pedalling technique, but are there any other drills I should be doing? Or is it practice and conditioning?

... plenty of cadence drills you can do : using a turbo trainer or stationary bike .. or attending one of my special Spinning classes :wacko:;):smile::sad:
again its all what suits the individual, but a higher cadence can stress joints less than a lower one . . I am just positioning the case for caution in anything excessive, of course!

As an aside, when I use the leg press machine in the gym and have substantial weight on it to develop power and strength for the upper legs and backside.. you sure can feel it in the knees after 6 reps or so.. no way would I want to really grind up an incline for minutes on end with that amount of stress.

Well, it's 6 weeks later and after a lot of diligent concentration I'm finding that the numbers are rocketing skywards. I'm concentraing on pedalling in circles, using a smooth action and saving the mashing for the tatties. Now I'm normally sitting around 85 and getting up to 110.

I could probably do with getting a bike-mount for the Garmin 50 (anyone got one they don't want?) so I can see the figures and optimise my gear changing but...

WOW!!!!!

I am going faster AND easier. I'm making better use of the gears and I'm feeling stronger. I think it has also helped my CV system as my resting pulse has gone down to lower than it was this time last year.

Good times.

Stig

Ravenz

Stig-OT-Dump said:
Well, it's 6 weeks later and after a lot of diligent concentration I'm finding that the numbers are rocketing skywards. ..
WOW!!!!!I am going faster AND easier. I'm making better use of the gears and I'm feeling stronger. I think it has also helped my CV system as my resting pulse has gone down to lower than it was this time last year.
Stig

Well done.. !:ohmy:
could do with a few more enlightened converts!:smile:;)

jimboalee

Stig-OT-dump's experimentation has paid off.

I did mine years ago when cycle computers first hit the market.
I also had opportunity to use a motorcycle dynamometer to directly measure Power at various pedaling rpm.

I found my natural cadence for Pmax is 70 - 80. Above 85 and I feel like I'm wearing my hips out :biggrin:

Its a personal thing and only the individual can do the hard work that is necessary :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
I used to grind and knew no better, did what stig did, from reading on here when i first got here, tried it and persevered with it and it now feels very right and feels much better for my legs, gawd knows there's enough work for them without making it heavy work too

jimboalee

Repeat...;)

Speed is independent of gear ratio. It is relative to power.
Power is on a polynomial curve against speed.

Ride how you feel is comfortable.

I notice there is an article in today's comic that looks at 'pedaling styles', and how to improve.
A large piece of text, but a disclaimer within a coloured panel.

In one phrase... "Smooth rotations"..:biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
I used to pedal slower in the bigger gears but find now I will drop to the middle cog on the front and keep my spin up but lose some speed on hills, unless im feeling strong, then I leave it and push harder to keep the spin speed up. In effect Im only really using two gears most of the time.

jimboalee

Just as a by-the-way.

I reduced the top ratio on my Sturmey commute bike by 5", from 73 to 68.

The first couple of trips I pedalled with a 'spinning' technique, keeping the speed I usually rode at lower revs.

After this last week's worth of commutes, I have found my cruising speed has reduced because I am pedalling at my 'natural' cadence, about 75 rpm.

My cruising speed is of course lower, but I can now climb the steep ones in top, resulting in a similar total time.

The bike is now a more pleasant ride all round.

I can't change the habit of a lifetime.

jimboalee

Addendum.

75 rpm on the Sturmey is 150 Watts at 14.5 mph.

On the old 22T sprocket, 14.5 mph ( 150 Watts ) was at 68 rpm - below my range.

75 rpm on the 22T sprocket was 16 mph for 180 Watts. I don't like keeping this up for an hour, twice a day. ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i think it's a matter of physiology. i spin low gears up hills. there are people i know (some of whom i regard as better cyclists than i) who cannot do that and so grind. ulrich was a great grinder, and armstrong didn't win 7 tours just because he was a spinner.

horses, as they say, for courses.

Top Bottom