I'm A Hazard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenM

Veteran
In many countries it is illegal to have your hazards on whilst the vehicle is moving. It prevents you from indicating your intention to turn.

At a slight tangent to the thread... there are many events with associated camp sites in the UK where house rules state that you MUST have hazards on when moving; the organisers cite 'elf and safety but IMHO obviously lack common sense or judgement... No requirement for cycling with hazards on though :biggrin:

B.

D

Deleted member 26715

At a slight tangent to the thread... there are many events with associated camp sites in the UK where house rules state that you MUST have hazards on when moving; the organisers cite 'elf and safety but IMHO obviously lack common sense or judgement... No requirement for cycling with hazards on though :biggrin:
It is also quite common for HGV drivers to have to drive around warehouse yards with them on, however that is not on the highway, where as previously stated they should not be used whilst moving, just like they should not be used whilst being towed which seems to be another favourite.

sight-pin

Veteran
It is also quite common for HGV drivers to have to drive around warehouse yards with them on, however that is not on the highway, where as previously stated they should not be used whilst moving, just like they should not be used whilst being towed which seems to be another favourite.

Ok.... Lets say your driving down the road and you come up against a large hgv moving very slowly, no indicators or hazards on, your view in front is obstructed but you have just enough room to overtake and you have been following for a mile or two etc......what do you do?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ok.... Lets say your driving down the road and you come up against a large hgv moving very slowly, no indicators or hazards on, your view in front is obstructed but you have just enough room to overtake and you have been following for a mile or two etc......what do you do?
Wait until my view is not obstructed and then overtake if safe. Or more likely - take a random turning in the hope of finding a shortcut and get lost.

sight-pin

Veteran
But their maybe was nervous riders on horses close in front of the hgv, and now the riders have been chucked and the horses bolted down the road....lol
It's just imo, but if the hgv had hazards on you would know something could be in front and needs caution with overtaking.

D

Deleted member 26715

Wait until my view is not obstructed and then overtake if safe.
^^^^This, unless I could see 100% that it was clear I wouldn't overtake, I may try to move out across the road to get a better view.
But their maybe was nervous riders on horses close in front of the hgv, and now the riders have been chucked and the horses bolted down the road....lol
If this were the case I would expect the HGV to have stopped as they would by now of run over the fallen rider, therefore making it legal to put on their hazards

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Maybe I'll permanently mount a bike carrier to the roof bars. There's plenty of roads round ours where safe passes have to wait, and its a little damning to think that the general assumption is we won't be courteous.

I wish having a bike rack, or even the bike in the back of the car suggesting they've just finished what I'm still doing, was an indication that the car driver wasn't going to be a nobber. I think it's just what happens to some people when they get behind the wheel.

At a slight tangent to the thread... there are many events with associated camp sites in the UK where house rules state that you MUST have hazards on when moving; the organisers cite 'elf and safety but IMHO obviously lack common sense or judgement...

Our site has both 5mph (you know, the speed too low to actually appear on a speedo) and must drive with hazards on. It's a menace. I tend to just leave the car on tickover to try and adhere to the speed limit, but I have a 90 degree turn across pedestrian traffic to get in to my bit of the site which is great with hazards on and randomly meandering students. Lucky I'm a very patient person.

D

Deleted member 26715

But the hgv could be moving from farm to farm with the riders and horses.
And?

sight-pin

Veteran
And i'd probably do the same same as you with that scenario, but i was just trying to show that having hazards on in a vehicle is maybe the best thing to do, .....
It was just a response to your text >
where as previously stated they should not be used whilst moving
:smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

And i'd probably do the same same as you with that scenario, but i was just trying to show that having hazards on in a vehicle is maybe the best thing to do, .....
It was just a response to your text >
:smile:
Ah okay, but as previous I'd prefer them not to be used when moving, however I am now going to contradict myself & there is one situation where with a HGV or a vehicle towing a caravan/trailer it is acceptable. Pulling up to swing the wrong way across a road before they start to reverse down a adjoining road, in an ideal world they would have a banksman but that is not always possible.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I wish having a bike rack, or even the bike in the back of the car suggesting they've just finished what I'm still doing, was an indication that the car driver wasn't going to be a nobber. I think it's just what happens to some people when they get behind the wheel.

Quite right, I'm afraid. As H.G. Wells didn't quite say, "every time I see moronic driving from a car carrying a bicycle, I despair for the future of the human race"

Top Bottom