I'm a little bit pleased with myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Now don't all start sniggering at the back at my seemingly miniscule distances, I'll be catching you up soon enough!!

Been out every night this week after only going out 3 times in the past 7 weeks. TBH I was getting a bit down about how hard I was finding it. After all I only do a 4 mile circuit and I feel absolutely drained by the end of it.

At weekend my Schwalbe city jets arrived and that made the ride feel a little easier. Then yesterday I had a play about before going out, lowering the handlebars, raising the saddle an inch, moving it forward an inch and it felt even better. I've still felt like shoot when I finished though which was beginning to bring me down a little. Then tonight I went out and thought 'sod it, i'm not gonna try and beat my time tonight I'm just gonna ride.' I went out and just got into a steady rhythm (as opposed to trying to go as fast as possible) and it felt so much better. I actually did an extra half mile tonight and felt like I could do it twice over. Whats more, when I checked strava when I got home, I had actually got a higher average speed than usual. I thought it must be due to less hills but I had a higher elevation as well.

I make no apologies for feeling a little smug with myself ^_^

baldycyclist

Über Member
please feel smug
It is those rides with a nice cadence that always get you there feeling better than ever and sometimes faster about it all
What are you riding?

Herbie

Veteran
Now don't all start sniggering at the back at my seemingly miniscule distances, I'll be catching you up soon enough!!

Been out every night this week after only going out 3 times in the past 7 weeks. TBH I was getting a bit down about how hard I was finding it. After all I only do a 4 mile circuit and I feel absolutely drained by the end of it.

At weekend my Schwalbe city jets arrived and that made the ride feel a little easier. Then yesterday I had a play about before going out, lowering the handlebars, raising the saddle an inch, moving it forward an inch and it felt even better. I've still felt like s*** when I finished though which was beginning to bring me down a little. Then tonight I went out and thought 'sod it, i'm not gonna try and beat my time tonight I'm just gonna ride.' I went out and just got into a steady rhythm (as opposed to trying to go as fast as possible) and it felt so much better. I actually did an extra half mile tonight and felt like I could do it twice over. Whats more, when I checked strava when I got home, I had actually got a higher average speed than usual. I thought it must be due to less hills but I had a higher elevation as well.

well done that man :thumbsup:

please feel smug
It is those rides with a nice cadence that always get you there feeling better than ever and sometimes faster about it all
What are you riding?

I'm riding a MTB that I bought about 5 years ago but never actually rode. I wanted to get into cycling but did it the complete wrong way and just bought a bike without knowing a thing about them. I was that knee jerk about it all that I ended up buying a womans bike, didnt even know there was a difference!! :rofl:

Its an Iron Horse Maverick 1.0 like this
AAAAC1BtFQwAAAAAAEI-NQ.jpg

Cyclist33

At weekend my Schwalbe city jets arrived and that made the ride feel a little easier. Then yesterday I had a play about before going out, lowering the handlebars, raising the saddle an inch, moving it forward an inch and it felt even better. I've still felt like s*** when I finished though which was beginning to bring me down a little. Then tonight I went out and thought 'sod it, i'm not gonna try and beat my time tonight I'm just gonna ride.' I went out and just got into a steady rhythm (as opposed to trying to go as fast as possible) and it felt so much better. I actually did an extra half mile tonight and felt like I could do it twice over. Whats more, when I checked strava when I got home, I had actually got a higher average speed than usual. I thought it must be due to less hills but I had a higher elevation as well.

Smug mode acceptable, although I do have to ask, if you felt like you "could do it twice over", why didn't you?!

Stu

Smug mode acceptable, although I do have to ask, if you felt like you "could do it twice over", why didn't you?!

Stu

Had to get home to tuck my little boy in. Plus I didn't wanna push it. It was quite nice finishing and not feeling like death warmed up!!

I also had my first scary moment when a range rover jumped a red light to undertake me when I was at the lights waiting to turn right. Clearly couldn't wait 20 yards for me to turn and they could overtake normally so they squeezed past me on my left side and almost hit me!! Luckily I was stopped waiting cos if I was moving I would of shoot myself!!

Liamjc90

Hey well done. I'v been doing the same 4 mile commute for 2 months now and only really just started getting faster now. Distance has never been a problem for me, i think being young has that advantage but keeping speed has been hard from the start. Must be a trick to it that i just haven't found yet.

paul04

Über Member
Like some of the others have said, forget about fastest times and speed, just enjoy the ride.

And you will encounter alot of impatient drivers who will not wait a couple of seconds while you go past.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Then tonight I went out and thought 'sod it, i'm not gonna try and beat my time tonight I'm just gonna ride.' I went out and just got into a steady rhythm (as opposed to trying to go as fast as possible) and it felt so much better. I actually did an extra half mile tonight and felt like I could do it twice over. Whats more, when I checked strava when I got home, I had actually got a higher average speed than usual. ^_^

These are the best rides. I sometimes set off on my 10 mile commute and think 'tonight, I am going to take it easy' but lo and behold I often find these to be some of the quickest journeys. I don't know why, maybe it is sometjing to do with warming up gradually?

Anyway, well done and stick with it :thumbsup:

Well done, as has been mentioned speed really isnt important just enjoy it, you will get faster the main thing is that you want to go and do it again.
I had a really c*** ride in terms of avg speed today but i tackled quite a few more hills than I normally do (but boy that wind today) my speed was really down on what I was expecting it to be, I think I know it would be when I set of this morning, but from this I know I can do the hills towards Barnsley and I can try them some more, because whilst I was riding I was thinking wtf am I doing this for and the last 3-4 miles I just rode home no attempt at the strava sections on the way home, I will be out again doing another whatever distance tomorrow or sunday ect......

paulw1969

Ridley rider
well done:thumbsup:
Just try and enjoy the ride to start with and not get tied up with stats....and i have been guilty of this also....you can put yourself under undue pressure before you even climb aboard....enjoy the freedom of the ride and you will find your legs will find their own pace .....i have to admit the times i go out with the intention of taking it easy do tend to be the better rides;).
I found frequency of riding better than distance to start with.....keep up the good work!

Top Bottom