I'm an idiot. I'm an idiot.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Just adjusted the disc brakes on the Catrike. The big outer wheel wouldn't adjust by hand, and you need one of those star shaped bits.

It's an idiot proof, straightforward task.
1/ Insert bit in driver end.
2/ Screw to adjust the pad in.
3/ Remove screwdriver.
4/ Squeeze brake lever.
5/ Spin wheel to check pads not catching.

There's a step missing though.
3A/ Check that when you remove the screwdriver, the star shaped bit doesn't stay in the adjuster, because if it does, when you do step 5 it can break 2 spokes.

6/ Get yourself off to Halfords and see if they stock spokes fo a 16 inch wheel!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oops....

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Into Halfords.
Me "Hi, where are your spokes?"
Halfords guy" I don't think we sell them"
Me "Oh are you sure?"
Another Halfords guy "Oh we do". I show him the broken spoke and tell him it's for a 16 inch wheel.
Halfords guy "We don't sell them that small, only 26 inch wheel spokes"

Strange considering they sell kids bikes. Surely spokes can break on kids bikes? So now it's plan B. Whip some spokes of the kids old bike.

Gary E

Veteran
You also missed preparation step 2 - get a grownup to help :laugh:

Sorry, couldn't resist :blush:

I know what it's like to do this sort of thing. It's one thing to muck things up when you're doing something complex but it's especially annoying when you make a daft mistake doing something really simple. Sod's Law then states that you won't have the bit that you need to undo your mistake :cursing:

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Kids bike-16 inch wheel. Catrike 700-16 inch wheel. Of course the spokes from the kids bike skould fit, right? Wrong, they're about 1.2cm too short. I'm gonna look on t'internet, but does anyone know the best place to source 'bespoke' spokes. And as I've never bought spokes before, just what measurements do I need to specify. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

I rang my new local shop, Cyclesupreme in Doncaster (I pass it every day on commute), and they said just to pop in with the spoke and they'd order them for next day delivery. Looks like I'll be going in on the Scott Sub40 tomorrow. Fist commute on this bike since I bought it in February. I wonder if me 'bent legs will be up for 24 mile round trip commute on a 'normal' bike?

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

[QUOTE 2505522, member: 30090"]Bent legs are more defined and can exert more power and take more stress than normal cyclists legs. You'll be fine.[/quote]
I just hope I don't come across a club rider. Though they'd be eating my dust if I was on the catrike, I suspect I'd struggle against them on the Scott. If I suspect an overtake is imminent, I'll just take a left turn.:thumbsup:

What's the odds that tomorrow will be the day when I see a pack of 10 road bikers!

I keep fit with only a 5 x 6 mile commute on a hub geared DF plus 60 odd miles at the weekend on the trike.
I find recumbent riding compliments riding so called normal bikes rather than the other way round.

Top Bottom