I'm back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

foot_loose

On 23rd July while out for a short post dinner ride, I fell off after clipping a curb while looking over my shoulder before making a right turn. I knew I had broken my collar bone (big step in the bone). Walked home and got a lift to A&E. Sent home after x rays with a sling and pain relief. Saw consultant a week later who said he would operate that afternoon to fix it. Sadly no bed was available so I had to wait a further week. Had op on 6th August. Metal plate and screws used. Pic of scar attached!
2014-08-13 09.29.42.jpg
.Saw pysio-therapist on 12th and consultant on 13th. I returned to work on 18th August and yesterday went for my first ride since the accident. Only 8 miles but it was good to be back on 2 wheels! I drove a car yesterday and hope to be back on my motorbike later this week. I intend to cycle 20 miles tomorrow or Tuesday and then go out with club next Sunday for regular 50 miler.

Keep your bikes rubber side down if you can!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Looks painful! How's the left arm mobility? It's nice that you're back on the bike again.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
On 23rd July while out for a short post dinner ride, I fell off after clipping a curb while looking over my shoulder before making a right turn. I knew I had broken my collar bone (big step in the bone). Walked home and got a lift to A&E. Sent home after x rays with a sling and pain relief. Saw consultant a week later who said he would operate that afternoon to fix it. Sadly no bed was available so I had to wait a further week. Had op on 6th August. Metal plate and screws used. Pic of scar attached! View attachment 54300 .Saw pysio-therapist on 12th and consultant on 13th. I returned to work on 18th August and yesterday went for my first ride since the accident. Only 8 miles but it was good to be back on 2 wheels! I drove a car yesterday and hope to be back on my motorbike later this week. I intend to cycle 20 miles tomorrow or Tuesday and then go out with club next Sunday for regular 50 miler.

Keep your bikes rubber side down if you can!
Bloomin heck....you're recovering quickly. My op was 8th July and surgeon isn't wanting me cycling until next check up in October!!! Shoulder is still a bit painful and stiff but I am getting increasingly tempted to get back on the bike before then.

OP
OP
foot_loose

foot_loose

Thanks peeps. Shoulder mobility is not bad. Can't sleep on my left side and have some stiffness / loss of range of movement but hopefully it will get better with time and exercise. I see my surgeon again on 17th September. I suspect he would prefer I wasn't riding just yet (same as my wife) in case of a further fall but I figure so long as I am careful all is OK. I don't want to lose more general fitness than I have to. There was surprisingly little pain from the break or the op really. Worst thing was waiting at A&E for a couple of hours and being put in wrong type of sling which ran across the site of the break! Also pain in forearm and elbow swelling. Much better with arm out of sling and using as much as possible..

Good luck with your recovery Mo1959.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
you walked home with a broken collar bone ? Your made of the right stuff and well done on such a speedy recovery !

OP
OP
foot_loose

foot_loose

Well I was not far from home, only about 1/2 mile or so. Might have been different if it had been my leg (a la Contador) and I did not try riding like Cavendish after his crash but walking was not a problem save for cleated shoes. My wife wondered what was wrong when I asked her to come and put my bike away in the garage and then aw me holding my shoulder.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Well I was not far from home, only about 1/2 mile or so. Might have been different if it had been my leg (a la Contador) and I did not try riding like Cavendish after his crash but walking was not a problem save for cleated shoes. My wife wondered what was wrong when I asked her to come and put my bike away in the garage and then aw me holding my shoulder.
My chain came off when I did mine and I struggled for ten minutes trying to get it back on. Could feel the jagged bone digging into my shoulder so knew it was bad. Actually got on and rode slowly home grimacing at every bump. Never want to repeat the experience!

Top Bottom