I'm getting addicted...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrB1obby

In about September I bought my first road bike, it's an 1980's Puch silver phantom for about £70 to do some cheap commuting for when I was moving into the city. However, I hardly used it, only putting on between 5-8 miles a week and found it really hard on my legs and within no time I would be sweating buckets. I've never really done cycling, I've always just ran instead.

Also since living there my exercise rate has gone way way down as I'm not using the gym or anything anymore, I've been eating junk and what not. I was 12st 9 ish before moving and at the end of december I was 13st 5:sad: which is the heaviest I'd ever been and I'm not happy about it. So now I'm back in the country until mid January so I thought I'd try cycling about 4 or 5 nights a week.

Even just doing those 5-8 miles a week I think have made a slight difference as on a couple runs out I did about 10 miles. Then I was just coming into my village, and had the urge to turn off and extend my route, ending up doing 18 miles. Had a day off, then tonight, I marked out another nice 21 mile route on google maps, only to get to the turning to my village which is a 2 mile long lane, and think, I'll go the long way and ending up doing 29 miles and still wanting to continue! The only reason I didn't is because it was gone 1am and I can't be in bed all morning. I did this in 2 hours 2 minutes which I'm very pleased with.

I have been lurking for a while but I'm basically just really excited I've got the cycling bug and couldn't help but post! ^_^

So I'm Andy and my post count should continue to rise as I ask silly questions :hello:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
:welcome: Andy :smile: it all starts here :biggrin:

wildjetskier

In about September I bought my first road bike, it's an 1980's Puch silver phantom for about £70 to do some cheap commuting for when I was moving into the city. However, I hardly used it, only putting on between 5-8 miles a week and found it really hard on my legs and within no time I would be sweating buckets. I've never really done cycling, I've always just ran instead.

Also since living there my exercise rate has gone way way down as I'm not using the gym or anything anymore, I've been eating junk and what not. I was 12st 9 ish before moving and at the end of december I was 13st 5:sad: which is the heaviest I'd ever been and I'm not happy about it. So now I'm back in the country until mid January so I thought I'd try cycling about 4 or 5 nights a week.

Even just doing those 5-8 miles a week I think have made a slight difference as on a couple runs out I did about 10 miles. Then I was just coming into my village, and had the urge to turn off and extend my route, ending up doing 18 miles. Had a day off, then tonight, I marked out another nice 21 mile route on google maps, only to get to the turning to my village which is a 2 mile long lane, and think, I'll go the long way and ending up doing 29 miles and still wanting to continue! The only reason I didn't is because it was gone 1am and I can't be in bed all morning. I did this in 2 hours 2 minutes which I'm very pleased with.

I have been lurking for a while but I'm basically just really excited I've got the cycling bug and couldn't help but post! ^_^

So I'm Andy and my post count should continue to rise as I ask silly questions :hello:

WELL DONE as I keep telling myself it is a better addiction that the one I used to have and healthier, so keep it up Andy - Brill

markg0vbr

Über Member
admitting you have a addiction is the first step, when you find your self lurking near the local bike shop with sweaty palms and a credit card call your cyclechat sponsor, they will help you through it.:dry:...... or egg you on :whistle:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
admitting you have a addiction is the first step, when you find your self lurking near the local bike shop with sweaty palms and a credit card call your cyclechat sponsor, they will help you through it.:dry:...... or egg you on :whistle:

I think it's more expensive than a drug habit :eek:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Its almost as expensive as feeding my Games Workshop habit!

mines almost there too! however the GW stuff is always on show so not too bad!

well done on the mileage, i sometimes get the "lets go the long way" feeling, its really good and keeps it varied and interesting. how long before you don the lycra and buy a carbon then! lol

OP
OP
MrB1obby

MrB1obby

there are a lot worse addictions to have

I don't know, this one is pretty bad:bicycle:

well done on the mileage, i sometimes get the "lets go the long way" feeling, its really good and keeps it varied and interesting. how long before you don the lycra and buy a carbon then! lol

Yeah, I'm surprised I've got that feeling although I completely understand it as I get exactly that feeling every time I ride the motorbike ^_^ I'm going to try and stay away from cycle shops completely, otherwise I'll be buying every single accessory available, before ordering my new carbon and the likes :whistle:

I don't know if this is just me but, I rode in the day yesterday as well (Yes it's getting that bad), and I have to say I completely disliked it, I found it harder, more distracting and I felt a lot more vulnerable because of the amount of traffic. I'll be sticking to riding late at night!

Thanks for the motivation guys

Pedal pusher

Veteran
Well done and welcome. I'm a bit like you at the moment and can't get enough of bikes and cycling all I need now is a road bike lol

Chrisc

Guru
Welcome to the club! Try Bikehike for route planning instead of google maps.
Shows gradients so you can plan the suffering properly. ;-)

Top Bottom