I'm in Canada!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
After a very stressful 10 days getting my bike ready and my house packed up I've made it to Canada to start my tour:biggrin:. I'm currently in Ottawa airport waiting for my connection to St Johns and already grateful for my netbook and free wifi.

I nearly ended up without my bike and stuff. It was supposed to be transferred directly onto the flight to St Johns but I spotted the bike box in the oversized luggage area at Ottawa.;) Then my bag with my panniers was going round on the belt. How lucky was that that I noticed, otherwise I'd have arrived at the start with only my hand luggage!

I got a bit of a grilling at immigration to make sure I knew what I was letting myself in for. They seemed genuinely concerned to make sure I'd be safe. Anyway, I passed and have a whole 6 months to get across the country - more than enough.

I'm now sat here with a beer, waiting for some food, and the sun is shining. Life's good:smile:.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Have a beer for me Helen. Go for it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
I got a bit of a grilling at immigration to make sure I knew what I was letting myself in for. They seemed genuinely concerned to make sure I'd be safe. Anyway, I passed and have a whole 6 months to get across the country - more than enough.

How patronising! I hope you drew yourself up to your full height and reminded them whose country had an empire....:laugh:

Anyway, glad to hear you and your bike have arrived safely! I'm definitely going to get a netbook for when/if I go off on big trip.

Maple syrup. Have maple syrup as soon as you can....

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Arch said:
How patronising! I hope you drew yourself up to your full height and reminded them whose country had an empire....:laugh:

Anyway, glad to hear you and your bike have arrived safely! I'm definitely going to get a netbook for when/if I go off on big trip.

Maple syrup. Have maple syrup as soon as you can....

I'll have to find some pancakes to go with the maple syrup:tongue:. Surely it's good fuel for cycling...

I don't think the customs guy wanted to be responsible if I was found on the side of the road somewhere. I promised I was buying a mobile phone so I could summon assistance (mine won't work here). It helped that I could say I can do more than a 100 miles in a day. Thank you Cycle Chat!

OP
OP
HelenD123

HelenD123

Guru
Phew, I've just watched my bags and bike be loaded onto the plane for St Johns. The bike went on almost last so hopefully should be on top of the pile rather than getting squashed at the bottom.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
So did you choose the galaxy in the end?

Oh & it's 70 degrees here on friday...

oh - & very bloody impressed with you !

Crankarm

Guru
Bonne route Helen. Hope your trip is everything you hope and more.
Ps hang your food high up between trees in bear country. Yogi and Booboo like maple syrup :laugh:.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:
Bonne route Helen. Hope your trip is everything you hope and more.
Ps hang your food high up between trees in bear country. Yogi and Booboo like maple syrup :biggrin:.

And from what I've seen, are quite nifty at climbing trees...:smile:

(But I know what you mean.)

jags

Guru
sounds like a fantastic tour ,are you camping and cooking for yourself .have you got plenty of bear spray your in bear country now.hope you keep us posted on your tour pic's please, have a blast.

Top Bottom