I'm looking for a big mouse.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes for CAD drawing i can imagine a mouse is useful, for regular computer work i've never found the need for one since switching to MacBooks.
I have never used a Mac but have seen other people getting on okay with their trackpads. I hate the one on my Lenovo laptop though. It is okay for general web surfing but awful for anything precise.

I don't like having power and mouse cables plugged into my laptop at the same time though. I envisage the day when I trip over one or the other. (I no longer work at a desk because my DVT-damaged leg can't take the seated posture, so I spend 10 hours a day with my legs up on a footstool and a laptop actually balanced on a tray on my lap.)

I might treat myself to a decent wireless mouse.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I like the look of the MX Master 3 and if I had £100 spare then I would consider buying one. Unfortunately, that is way out of my price bracket!

There are some with tiny scratches going on Amazon for £84. Still too much for me though.
Same here, I'm afraid .
I'm veering towards the Logitech M190. It's not too expensive, comes from a reputable manufacturer, and is pretty close to my size target. I would love to try one of the exotic vertical types but I might not get on with them.

Thank you all for your helpful advice. I never knew that there was so much to learn about mousekeeping.

huh? what? sombody say mouse? our cats cornered this one in our Daughter's bedroom a cpl yrs ago

mouse.jpg

hope a little levity is ok

Speicher

Vice Admiral
huh? what? sombody say mouse? our cats cornered this one in our Daughter's bedroom a cpl yrs ago

View attachment 563982

hope a little levity is ok

Is that a mouse with a long trail - makes it easier to see the curser, who saw the mouse.:laugh:

ColinJ

Back to non-furry mice...

I decided to have another go with my cheapo (Lidl SilverCrest) wireless mouse. It was less than £10 so if I can get it to work reliably it will turn out to be a bargain. So far tonight it has been behaving itself.

I found a test on YouTube where the presenter was annoyed with his mouse flattening its batteries in 5 days because it was never going to sleep properly (it continued to draw significant current even when it appeared to be off). My batteries have been in for about 5 months and are still ok so it looks like I don't have that problem. He probably had a faulty device?

I wondered whether the previous problems I had with the mouse were due to the laptop trying to suspend the operation of the USB wireless dongle. To test for that, I have set the laptop to not suspend USB devices when the laptop is on mains power. So far, so good...

I am going to stop testing now because it is getting late. I'll see if the mouse can operate for a few hours tomorrow without packing in.

Is it possible to corner a mouse? They seem to move with alarming speed.........and crap in your toaster crumb tray.....
ah, a man w/ experience. in a house, there's always stuff on a bedroom floor, under the bed or in a closet, so lots of escapes routes & things to hide behind. we know we have a critter from the pitter patter of cat feet on the floor above us. the poor critter(s) is always traumatized by time I show up w/ a waste bucket & when they see it, it is a sanctuary from toothy cat faces in the dark. so between 2 cats & me, checkmate, it's only option is the waste bucket

ColinJ

I wondered whether the previous problems I had with the mouse were due to the laptop trying to suspend the operation of the USB wireless dongle. To test for that, I have set the laptop to not suspend USB devices when the laptop is on mains power. So far, so good...

I am going to stop testing now because it is getting late. I'll see if the mouse can operate for a few hours tomorrow without packing in.
So far, so good! The Lidl mouse has been working flawlessly for several hours, which is way longer than it used to.

There is something else that I have to check now... I left the dongle plugged in and when I started the laptop this afternoon its battery had drained from 55% to 2%. I don't think the dongle was to blame, but I need to confirm that. (I have been developing a game and was testing it last night. I left it minimised and it is possible that it continued to run in the background. I already knew that it is a bit of a battery basher but it is okay for 30-60 minutes. It might be that 8 hours is too much though.)

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Well, Jeff Bezos delivered a Logitech M190 this afternoon. It's a vast improvement on the M185. My fingertips rest naturally on the left and right click buttons. I thoroughly recommend it to people with non-Trump hands. £13 well spent and a vast improvement over the smaller M185.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Lidl mouse still working perfectly! :smile:
Well, Jeff Bezos delivered a Logitech M190 this afternoon. It's a vast improvement on the M185. My fingertips rest naturally on the left and right click buttons. I thoroughly recommend it to people with non-Trump hands. £13 well spent and a vast improvement over the smaller M185.
That was quick... I thought that there were supposed to be long postal delays due to everyone shopping online this year!

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lidl mouse still working perfectly! :smile:

That was quick... I thought that there were supposed to be long postal delays due to everyone shopping online this year!
Mr Bezos tricked me into signing up to Amazon Prime about two weeks ago. (I pressed the wrong button at the checkout.) Since then, I've been determined to screw him for as much as possible before cancelling my 30 day free Prime account. The mouse purchase did its own tiny bit.:okay:
BTW, delivery with Prime seems to be within two or three days, even this close to Christmas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom