Im nearly addicted!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donna

Hi all,

I think im getting addicted!!! ha ha

I chose to cycle to work in the rain!!!!!!! I went out yesterday and did a 17 mile loop around the river Tyne, beautiful cant wait to do it again.

I just cant seem to get enough of this cycling lark!, I definitely need more kit, my pathetic hi-vis waterproof is thin and just stuck to my arms on the way here :laugh:

I need a coat or something warm with long arms.

Bye for now lol

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well done Donna
It's a good addiction though and I can see that you're building the miles to 55, if you're already at 25 then just keep eating and drinking "Eat before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty, little and often" is the rule.

Good cycle-specific kit certainly helps, there's a lot of practical advice here. One thing I'd say at this point is that as you get better, you go faster and get hotter, so don't overdo the warm stuff just yet. There are some very good jackets from Endura and Altura as well as Wiggle's own Brand dhb. A good jacket is a good investment at some stage.

Keep it up!

Helly79

yes cycling is addictive, I started cycling last year going to and from work. Then I joined my works bicycle users group (bug). Then did the Norwich 50 last year going to do it this year and hopefully my hubby will join me as he has now got into cycling as well. So its not just addictive but catching ROFL

Helly79

Donna said:
My husband is not interested at all, all he says is "your keen" ha ha, ..... so what! I will walk alone!! well cycle alone ha ha

He does not know what he is missing lol I sure my hubby just come for the view anyway ROFL

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I know the feeling my wife has no interest in any sport or keeping fit ...

wanna swap??:biggrin:

I am dieing to go for a ride this weekend but having a spring clean pre house move chuck out atm .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Donna said:
my pathetic hi-vis waterproof is thin and just stuck to my arms on the way here :biggrin:

I need a coat or something warm with long arms.

lol
I have found anything too waterproof gives me the boil in the bag effect and i end up wet anyway,unless it is really raining or cold as well i tend to rely on the evaporation effect.I know you can get some good breathable stuff at a premium price.

tordis

Donna said:
My husband is not interested at all, all he says is "your keen" ha ha, ..... so what! I will walk alone!! well cycle alone ha ha
Tell me about it :sad: My partner has just bought himself a bike and we went for a ride yesterday. Yes, it was very, very windy. And yes, there was the odd bit of rain (not much, mind you, we were dry by the time we got home). And yes, it was just around 6 miles. Enough for him to drop dead on the sofa, apparently :sun:
Congrats on cycling in so-called adverse weather conditions! I agree, you'll need a good jacket at some point, but I reckon you still have time to invest in one, as you probably won't be using it until winter.
"cyberknight" said:
I have found anything too waterproof gives me the boil in the bag effect and i end up wet anyway,unless it is really raining or cold as well i tend to rely on the evaporation effect.I know you can get some good breathable stuff at a premium price.
I agree, a waterproof/windproof jacket when it's not raining is like a sauna and you end up wet anyway. If it's not raining, but it's chilly, I stick to layers. You can't go wrong with merino wool :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Howay Donna, hoo's it gannin pet?

For a 3 season jacket look at dhb stuff on Wiggle, the value for money is exceptional. I would recommend a long sleeve shirt with a front zip or a short sleeve and a pair of arm warmers, which would give more flexibility. Don't buy anything not designed for cycling or it will flap around in the breeze and slow you down.

tmcd35

I too am finding cycling far too addictive (and money eating - keep buying more kit!). Just done the IoW Randonnee in the pouring rain and the hills and instead of putting me off I'm already planning my return next year! I've also signed up for the Tour de Tendering 50 miler and Norwich 100. This is getting silly!

Oh and for cycling clothes, I've found Sports Direct do some very good quality kit a very good prices!

OP
OP
D

Donna

I like the layers thing better than a coat idea. Ive got cheapies from Lidl (Im just starting cycling), couple of tops, gilet, shorts and capri trousers, and they are great. My tops are only short sleeves and my arms get cold.

Ive just ordered some more 3/4 trousers off ebay and a long sleeved top. Need to get some gloves with full fingers in them, my hands are always freezing.

Didnt ride to work yesterday so popped out last night for an hour 14 miles, lovely :tongue:
Gonna see if I can increase to 30 miles at the weekend. Love it, love it, love it.

tordis

Mind you, the cheapies from Lidl (or Aldi, for that matter) are not too shabby! I've had my Lidl gloves for almost a year now and they've only just started falling apart. At £2.99 they were a good deal! I have a nice jersey and double panniers from Lidl, and tomorrow I'm heading to Aldi to pick up some of their cheap bike stuff (shorts are good, and I want a bike computer, too).

Top Bottom