I'm on a quest to find...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kovacsa

a custom or non-standard style cassette.

My current cassette is this...

Model: Shimano CS-HG50-10
Size: 11-36
Cassette Cogs: 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

I don't find the smaller cogs that useful, esp 11 and 13. I find the larger cogs more useful for climbing and cycling in general. Does anyone know where I can find a 10 speed cassette that has a cog starting with 14 or 15 teeth all the way up to a cog that has 38 or 40 teeth? The climbing gears would be much more of a benefit to me. Thanks!

ChrisEyles

Guru
Totally agree - I was just commenting the other day in a different thread how useful a 14t - 34t cassette would be, but they don't exist off-the-peg.

I know with the 8 speed cassettes I use on all my bikes you can mix'n'match sprockets to build custom cassettes quite easily. You would need a special 14t sprocket with the knurling on the outer face for the lock ring to grip onto, but once you have one of those you could buy another couple of cassettes and re-arrange the sprockets to suit (I thought about doing this myself but in the end kept my 11t-30t cassette and swapped the road triple for a MTB triple up front, which had a similar net effect).

I'm not sure if this works the same way for 10 speed - I would assume so but I've never owned or worked on it, so someone else may be able to confirm this will/won't work.

OP
OP
K

kovacsa

Totally agree - I was just commenting the other day in a different thread how useful a 14t - 34t cassette would be, but they don't exist off-the-peg.

I know with the 8 speed cassettes I use on all my bikes you can mix'n'match sprockets to build custom cassettes quite easily. You would need a special 14t sprocket with the knurling on the outer face for the lock ring to grip onto, but once you have one of those you could buy another couple of cassettes and re-arrange the sprockets to suit (I thought about doing this myself but in the end kept my 11t-30t cassette and swapped the road triple for a MTB triple up front, which had a similar net effect).

I'm not sure if this works the same way for 10 speed - I would assume so but I've never owned or worked on it, so someone else may be able to confirm this will/won't work.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure why something like this is difficult to find, as I'm sure many other cyclists would be looking for the same thing. There seems to be a lot of niche gaps in the cycling market I'm noticing. This is one of them. Let me know if you come across anything, I'll do the same for you :smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unfortunately not. Back in the days of eight speed Campag cassettes were made up of individual sprockets so you could chose and ratios you liked. This had a potential drawback however, in that I inadvertently spent a season and a half racing with two 18t sprockets on the back.

ChrisEyles

Guru
That's right, I was thinking of combining a 14 - 28 junior racing cassette and a 11-34 standard cassette to make a 14-34 8 speed one.

Not much use if 10 speed cassettes are all riveted together though as any racing cassette won't have as low a gear as you want.

@Smokin Joe love the 2x 18t sprockets

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
a custom or non-standard style cassette.

My current cassette is this...

Model: Shimano CS-HG50-10
Size: 11-36
Cassette Cogs: 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36

I don't find the smaller cogs that useful, esp 11 and 13. I find the larger cogs more useful for climbing and cycling in general. Does anyone know where I can find a 10 speed cassette that has a cog starting with 14 or 15 teeth all the way up to a cog that has 38 or 40 teeth? The climbing gears would be much more of a benefit to me. Thanks!
Would it be feasible to use smaller chainring(s)? You would then feel the equivalence of a 40 with your current 36, and probably find the 11 and 13 more useful.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Unfortunately not. Back in the days of eight speed Campag cassettes were made up of individual sprockets so you could chose and ratios you liked. This had a potential drawback however, in that I inadvertently spent a season and a half racing with two 18t sprockets on the back.
Ditto Dura-Ace, all individual until 10 speed came along

winjim

Smash the cistern
That's right, I was thinking of combining a 14 - 28 junior racing cassette and a 11-34 standard cassette to make a 14-34 8 speed one.

Not much use if 10 speed cassettes are all riveted together though as any racing cassette won't have as low a gear as you want.

@Smokin Joe love the 2x 18t sprockets
You can knock them apart with a hammer and punch. My LBS happily beat the crap out of a 10sp Shimano splined cassette and rebuilt it with Campagnolo spacers so I could get my cheap wheel to work with my Veloce gearset.

Jody

Stubborn git
You need to let go of the brakes if your not getting any use out of the 11 and 13 :whistle: I don't think you are going to find 14-40 or anything like that as the really low ratio cassettes need a wide range so they work with 1x**

Would you not just stick a 11-40/42 to experiment?

normgow

Guru
Before buying a new cassette with a larger top sprocket first check that your frame has enough space to accommodate it. With a lot of modern frames there could be a risk of the chain fouling the chain stays when on the smallest sprocket.

Top Bottom