I'm Picking A Fight - Who Wants To Join Me ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I’m Picking A fight…..Want To Join Me ?

At just 1pound below 40stone I was angry, I was angry at the world, the comments, the looks, the laughter people directed towards me hurt, it made me angry with the whole world, this in turn led to me eat, feeling sorry for myself, depressed, I hid away from the world, leaving my house only to either go to work or for food, I wasn’t living a life, I was barley existing.

Eventually I decided to fight, to fight obesity was going to be a long road, but it was one that I intended to channel all my anger into. I woke up after that first ride and I wanted to do it all over again, I wanted to fight obesity toe to toe in a street fight.

I’m now 2 years down the line and Obesity, in relation to me obesity has a bloody nose, but together we can achieve so much more.

If we fight together, toe to toe we can defeat obesity, we can raise awareness, launch foundations and we CAN win this fight.

I have so many ideas on what we can do, now all I need is some backing to help, please forward the following page onto anyone who you think can help with the backing, I have the ideas, the drive and the fight!

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/im-picking-a-fight/

Gaz

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
 Not sure how i can help Gaz but well done again and good luck, you are an inspiration.

paul

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Not sure how i can help Gaz but well done again and good luck, you are an inspiration.

paul

All I need is contacts, backers, PR, NHS, PCT people etc etc, I have found the drive I need to push this into the next level.

Just post that link in my first post everywhere you can think of on the internet, once it gets seen by people that can and want to help, i'll do everything needed to ensure it works !

BigEvo

I think anybody who gives weight loss a go and sticks to it should me commended. I started at 18st 9lb in Feb 2009 and currently weigh 12st 8lb. Started with walking. moved on to running, followed by cycyling. I am now doing a combination of all three and still enjoying it.

You can only do it if you really want to, but achieving the consistent weight loss is the key driver to keeping it up.

Crack on Gaz and keep at it.

BigEvo (not so big anymore)

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
So here are some ideas:

We all know someone is is overwight, obese etc who claims they dont eat, workout and still put weight on, hell I work with one such person, they claim to eat 600cals a day and go through punishing 2-4 hour workouts every night, well all know its not true as this person has a BMI that makes them morbidly obese. That is NOT the type of people I want to target with this , its been proven that education (or brainwashing) at an early age helps, so thats target number 1, change peoples mindsets before they become "Too old to change my ways"

Target 2 is people like me, I always said I was too fat to workout, too far to diet because it wouldnt even make a dint into my size, but as soon as I saw people at over 30 stone workout and keep the weight off that they lost I knew it could be done, I aways wanted to lose weight but was so huge thought I was a lost cause and thats the other side I want to look at. People who want to but cant see the light.

The basic principal of eat less, move more works, I am living proof, I can have treats, but it means a 2-3 pound weight loss a week, without treats and putting in 120 miles + per week I can look at a 3-6 pound loss per week. Sometimes people just need to see it can be done , so I want to start something to eduicate (or brainwash lol) youth and to help those in dire need, who want help, there will always be them that dont want to change and nothing I say or do will ever change that, unless they decided enough is enough.

All I need is contacts, backers, PR, NHS, PCT people etc etc, I have found the drive I need to push this into the next level.

Just post that link in my first post everywhere you can think of on the internet/locally, once it gets seen by people that can and want to help, i'll do everything needed to ensure it works !

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Your enthusiasm's fantastic but you have to be prepared for some disappointments.

The current political and economical climate doesn't bode well for the birth of initiatives or the continuation of existing ones.

Look at the current confusion over the current targets over cancer appointments within the NHS and the derision pointed towards Jamie Oliver's healthy foods initiative. The TV and Internet based campaigns for healthy living have been heavily criticised for being ineffective and targeting the wrong sectors of the population.

Health initiatives are not cheap to get off the ground and I've seen dozens come and go with high profile supporters, slick presentations, lorry loads of literature and lots of promises about outcomes that simply have not materialised. I work with your target audience - young people who you'd like to brain wash. They're still eating junk food, getting stoned, drinking themselves unconscious and smoking despite the video nasties and healthy living teaching over a five year spell from eleven to sixteen. When you've got kids turning up to school with well crafted roll ups lovingly prepared by their parents for their offspring and overhear their drinking plans for the weekend which has unconciousness as a primary target - you know you've got your work cut out to teach them anything never mind healthy living - their minds are simply elsewhere.

Having said that you might well have some success with a "think global act local campaign". Far more manageable in your local community than trying to reach everyone.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Your enthusiasm's fantastic but you have to be prepared for some disappointments.

The current political and economical climate doesn't bode well for the birth of initiatives or the continuation of existing ones.

Look at the current confusion over the current targets over cancer appointments within the NHS and the derision pointed towards Jamie Oliver's healthy foods initiative. The TV and Internet based campaigns for healthy living have been heavily criticised for being ineffective and targeting the wrong sectors of the population.

Health initiatives are not cheap to get off the ground and I've seen dozens come and go with high profile supporters, slick presentations, lorry loads of literature and lots of promises about outcomes that simply have not materialised. I work with your target audience - young people who you'd like to brain wash. They're still eating junk food, getting stoned, drinking themselves unconscious and smoking despite the video nasties and healthy living teaching over a five year spell from eleven to sixteen. When you've got kids turning up to school with well crafted roll ups lovingly prepared by their parents for their offspring and overhear their drinking plans for the weekend which has unconciousness as a primary target - you know you've got your work cut out to teach them anything never mind healthy living - their minds are simply elsewhere.

Having said that you might well have some success with a "think global act local campaign". Far more manageable in your local community than trying to reach everyone.

Thanks for the reply.

This is never going to be something that is easy, heck as you say it might not even get off the ground, but I have to try, I know people who want help, I know there are some youth that can be influenced, even helping 5% of people will reduce NHS costs, I have, in the past been on medication for

Diabeties

High BP

Depression

Steriods for a "weak" heart

Then there is the cost of me seeing a GP amost every week, the cost of me being long term sick for a few years, and the cost of me being in hospital after taking a OD, all of these costs have vanished ....TOTALLY....Im off all the medications and I have had only a few days sick (due to my cycling accident) AND I am much more productive both at home and work.

If I can get into the right people and show them that its not all money out, they will be saving money on treatment then who knows, but as you say its not easy, it might never happen, but I have to at least try......

ChrisKH

Guru
Good luck gb155, I'm behind you,so to speak. I don't have a weight problem (yet!) but I'm well aware how hard it is for those who do to lose it and frankly if we all had your positive attitude it's half the battle won. I have passed your blog to a few people who would benefit.:thumbsup:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Why don't you utilise the social networks to start with?

Set up a facebook group/fanpage, a twitter account and a YouTube page. That way you can start to build up a following of people that want/need help and you can post helpful tips and offer support, answer questions and be generally inspiring. By using the already existing channels you don't need sponsorship or set up costs just some time.

Once you have a reasonable following someone who is keen to make some money or get some exposure will find you!

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Why don't you utilise the social networks to start with?

Set up a facebook group/fanpage, a twitter account and a YouTube page. That way you can start to build up a following of people that want/need help and you can post helpful tips and offer support, answer questions and be generally inspiring. By using the already existing channels you don't need sponsorship or set up costs just some time.

Once you have a reasonable following someone who is keen to make some money or get some exposure will find you!

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Some good suggestions there, thanks, I need to sit down and take a proper look at how this can work, I have the drive and desire but need to get it right.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Some good suggestions there, thanks, I need to sit down and take a proper look at how this can work, I have the drive and desire but need to get it right.

No worries, feel free to PM me if you want guidance and I can always pen out a basic online strategy for you!

I think what you've achieved is brilliant, Gaz. As regards your new campaign:
What kind of objectives do you have? Are you trying to raise awareness of obesity, diet and exercise, or actually change people's behaviour?
Who are you trying to reach and where and when may you find them?
Are you doing it on your own, or are you going to set up an organization of some kind? If the latter have you spoken to the national council for voluntary organziations or the charity commission?
You need to answer these questions before designing any kind of intervention. Google the term 'social marketing' too...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've said before...get ar$e in gear with a shotgun team............. your call...:whistle:

I'm doing Sky Ride........looks like we are taking two cars into town to ride..yeh..yeh....green sh!t, but have you tried getting into any Manchester car park without height restrictions..... ? Nope............

1 kid that will do 30 miles easy............ and the rest............ one that complains doing any miles..................... chalk and cheese............. :whistle:

Top Bottom