"I'm pondering starting a Cycle Chat saddle library..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Baggy said:
Just send me all your saddles, I promise they won't mysteriously appear on eBay ;)

I'll see if I can set up a new Paypal account. New posters will either need a reference from a "known" forumer, to bribe me with chocolate, or pay a deposit.

Borrowers will need to pay postage, and maybe a small sum to cover packing costs.

Central collation would be good but central point of dispatch might get a bit complicated if lenders/lendees have to pay postage to and from*?

And I think it's great idea BTW.

* And I'd be worried that chuffy would wear rubber against my leather saddle. Too Judas Priest IMO :tongue:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Noodley said:
Central collation would be good but central point of dispatch might get a bit complicated if lenders/lendees have to pay postage to and from*?

And I think it's great idea BTW.

If people kept the ones that they would like to go in a library, that would mean just one lot of postage, when someone said they would like to try it, rather than two. Also if the recipient lived within cycling distance, it would save postage. Yes, it is an excellent idea.

I would definitely be in favour and have a couple of different sized Specialized Alias saddles to offer for loan. If you are preparing a list of lenders, count me in.

Also, if anyone else has a Fizik Arione lying around doing nothing, do the decent thing and let me borrow it! I've been wanting to try one out for years and I would be ever so grateful...

MajorMantra

Great idea! In fact without having read Baggy's post I suggested something similar just a few days later. :biggrin: I have a few I'd be willing to lend out.

I would suggest keeping it simple and just maintaining a list of who has what to lend. The rule for borrowing could be something like "you pay the lender £20, they send the saddle, when it is returned £17 is refunded". In my experience it costs less than £3 to post a saddle.

The amount of the deposit could be increased for more expensive saddles - some are worth quite a lot more than that even used.

Matthew

Noodley

So are these saddles effectively going to be 'Library saddles' with no option of selling/buying? Effectively a 'pot' of saddles?

And if the lendee likes the saddle then they then buy it from elsewhere and holds onto the 'library' saddle until the next person requests it?

Apologies for my stupidity, I'm ill. Just in case anyone hadn't heard :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MajorMantra

Noodley said:
So are these saddles effectively going to be 'Library saddles' with no option of selling/buying? Effectively a 'pot' of saddles?

And if the lendee likes the saddle then they then buy it from elsewhere and holds onto the 'library' saddle until the next person requests it?

I don't think we should attempt to control it to that extent. If people want to negotiate between one another about buying a saddle that's up to them. The library would serve more as a way for the CC community to benefit from saddles that would otherwise languish in people's parts bins.

I'm happy to lend out a few saddles but I'm not actually going to relinquish ownership of them.

Matthew

OP
OP
Y

yello

I'd envisage all saddles being held centrally, so postage is only ever going to between that central location and the borrower (excepting, of course, for the initial stocking of the library). The borrower returns the saddle to the central location at the end of the loan. I only thought this because postage to & from me (in France) would just add cost, If others are not keen, and would prefer to do the postage themselves then I'm okay with that,

There should be a time limit of the loan too, perhaps something around a month. I reckon people should be allowed to buy the saddle too if they want to. Just agree a price (less the loan fee) and do it through PayPal, saddles owner gets the total sum less PayPal fees, or whatever.

I'll be interested to read Baggy's proposals. This is such a cool idea! Has anyone PM'ed Shaun to get their opinion/buy-in for CC brand approval!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
My proposal is going to look very like yello's! However, if people would rather hold on to saddles and send them out themselves we need a central list of who has what and need to rely on people letting me know what is on loan.

Maybe we need a poll (which I'll have to do later as I'm at work).

Actually, forget that, we can do both. We can have a list, people can send their own out if they want, and I'll hold them centrally for those that don't. We just need to keep tabs on what is out and what is not.

I will pm Shaun later as well...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it's a great idea.:tongue:

On the subject of buying: If someone wants to buy a saddle, and it's one still available on the market, then they perhaps ought to buy it new - because if they buy the 'library copy', then that's no longer available for anyone to try.

Although, I can understand the appeal of getting one secondhand too, pricewise. And if the saddle is one that is discontinued, then buying the library copy will be the only option.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Arch said:
On the subject of buying: If someone wants to buy a saddle, and it's one still available on the market, then they perhaps ought to buy it new - because if they buy the 'library copy', then that's no longer available for anyone to try.

It's a good point Arch. Perhaps we should say it's the saddle owners call; if they want to sell it then so be it!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Noodley said:
IMO the saddle should be posted back to wherever it came from otherwise I think we'll lose track of where they have ended up.

If some are held at one central point it means that someone can ask to try and compare a few at a time rather than try to track down say three from three different people. It also cuts down on overall postage.

I say this as someone who tried four types of saddle before finding my "Benevolent Cloud".

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yeah excellent idea - I have a few to add to the pot - a couple of unused saddles as well (men's saddles come standard on the bikes and are no good for me)

I still haven't found the right saddle yet so await the proposal eagerly!

Top Bottom