i'm poor as hell and i need a bike! please help me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

queserte

hey guys, i need a bike for getting around town. there's a scheme at work which means i can get a bike tax free from certain outlets, which sounds pretty rad!

but i'm cool with second hand, and ideally the cheaper the better. my knowledge of bicycles is limited to riding them to please be gentle with me :>

so any recommendations would be sweet!

Alex

spiro

You would be better off posting in the Beginners section.

Andy84

Veteran
spiro said:
You would be better off posting in the Beginners section.

No, this is where beginers are asked to put 'what bike' threads.

To the op, i'm sure lots of people will be along with different recomendations soon.

Do you have a preferance to what type of bike, and what would be the maximum amount you can spend?

e-rider

crappy member
if you go for a new bike, £300 is the minimum spend really (to get something worth buying), but with the 'cycle to work' scheme that would be of course less.

deccoo

The other benefit of the cycle to work scheme is that not only do you get the tax deducted from the price, the cost is split across the year so you aren't going to feel the impact of a large lump sum payment.

How much would you be happy paying each month?

If going second hand, how much you looking to spend?

Also, what are you looking to use it for? Commute? Weekend rides? Intro to racing?

g00se

Veteran
Also, it's unlikely you'll be allowed to get a second hand bike on the cycle to work scheme - so for that, you'll need to get the money up front.

PrettyboyTim

My guess is that something like the Dawes Discovery 201 might do the job:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/discovery-201-eq-2009-hybrid-bike-ec018592

Around £300, comes with rack, mudguards, and a kickstand (yay!) - looks like a good, practical bike.

If £300 is too much, there are similar bikes in the £170 - £230 range, but they'll be heavier, have steel frames, possibly worse components, but will probably still be reliable if cared for.

buggi

Bird Saviour
first you need to look at this thread to see what type of bike would suit you https://www.cyclechat.net/

and then you need to know what size you require (just go and get sized at a bike shop by sitting on the particular bike you want.

then you need to decide how much you want to spend.
if you then get your bike through the bike to work scheme you may be able to afford a little bit more due to not paying tax and paying monthly.

then once you have decided all of the above, come back on here and ask if we have any particular recommendations for that type of bike.

hope that helps

Dormouse

If you want cheap, try the local council's recycling depot. The one near me has them coming all the time but you need to check regularly to bag a good one. Or if the staff are friendly, tell them what you are looking for and ask if they would put likely candidates to one side for you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Dormouse said:
If you want cheap, try the local council's recycling depot. The one near me has them coming all the time but you need to check regularly to bag a good one. Or if the staff are friendly, tell them what you are looking for and ask if they would put likely candidates to one side for you.

Our Council do not let you take them ,they resell them...or the people working there do :wacko:.

the 2 bikes i have are both around the £300 mark and i can say they are cracking bikes for the price.Carrera bikes are generally well regarded as a good spec entry level bike ,its just the store that can be good or bad depending on the staff who work there.

Hybrid...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_551203_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Road bike....http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_272635_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

If your desperate for a bike try freecycle and gumtree where people give stuff away for nothing.The quality can be a bit suspect but it could give you a bike that can be made rideable.
I recently picked up a rigid MTB that i has scavenged the back wheel off for a mates son who has scragged his own bike.
genericzoom.swf

Top Bottom