I'm ready for the Stelvio!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Fantastic 🚴 very very envious
What about the descent ? Weeeeeeeeeeeee 🚴

Descended via Umbrail, which was incredible, velodrome quality surface , and some quite amazing hairpins, this from lunch stop

20230614_141911.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Excellent work on the weight loss, and on reaching the summit. Pics look amazing.

Which way did you go from, the Bormio side or the Prato side? And what is next on your list? The Gavia is supposed to one of the most beautiful so I guess that's coming up^_^

I'm flying over to Bormio a week today so I'll hopefully be following in your wheel tracks, and I'll be following this thread closely over the next week for pointers and recommendations.

After seeing the grim floods in Italy in recent months I've been a bit concerned about the weather, but your pics have reassured me a lot and I can't wait. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep the pics and reports coming:okay:

We are staying in Malles Venosta - there was a plan to get to Bormio and do the Gavia too, but it's a step too far from here!

Our ascent was from Prato, which is longer than the Bormio ascent; it would be perfect to ascend from Bormio to Umbrail, descend to Mustair then climb from Prato - but only if you're really confident you have the legs.

I have the impression the Stelvio gets very busy with motorbikes and cars, but we were incredibly lucky as it was closed at the summit for a bike race finish from the Bormio side, which I think reduced the traffic a lot. The Umbrail was almost zero traffic, and a wonderful road.

Most weather forecasts seem to interpret mountain weather very pessimistically. Comparing the weather forecast to the Stelvio webcam, most of the time showers are forecast it seems sunny. I'd recommend Swissmeteo, and use the Zernez forecast, the only service I found which was remotely like reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

I'll bet it was! Is it as punishing as it looks?

I was one of the stronger in our group, and after helping out one of the slower riders with a puncture we did it together at the back. So I was always well within my limits and just really enjoyed it without overly suffering. Genuinely, it was a pleasure, camaraderie is much more rewarding than speed.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Last day of the holiday today. Lovely three countries ride through Switzerland, Austria and back to Italy, with the Ofenpass the big climb and the Engadine valley a cornucopia of Swiss loveliness. Views from top of Ofenpass, the Engadine valley, and Val Venosta with St Valentin.

20230615_105626.jpg

20230615_141225.jpg

20230615_172636.jpg

Total for the three days 320km and 7,000m climbing. Time for a rest!

Slick

Guru
Top Bottom