I'm ready for the Stelvio!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
OK, a bit of a brag coming here, but felt like sharing and maybe it'll inspire others.

I've always fancied riding the Stelvio, and the end of Covid combined with incipient decrepitude (I'm mid fifties now) inspired the organisation of a trip, which is from next Sunday.

Of course, this required getting fit, and whilst a lot better than the previous winter, the dawning of 2023 found me about 90kg, which is too much to enjoy the alps.

So I set out to eat less and cycle more, and I have to say I've massively enjoyed the cycling part Eating less makes more difference to weight than exercising and I've done it, now being about 80kg, which is about as light as I've ever been as an adult. For anyone interested, I didn't do any kind of particular diet, just stuck religiously to normal meals, absolutely zero snacks, and was really hungry a lot of the time for 4 months, but it worked.

The cycling has been brilliant. I've not missed a single commute (20 miles round trip) and since March have been extending into the hills several times a week either morning or night. I've also managed a few really big rides, including a couple of very hilly centuries. Strava tells me I've been much quicker up my regular hills than ever before, and I've totaled 6000km, probably double my typical, maybe more.

I'd never have done this without an objective at the end, and now I feel I'm ready for the Stelvio!

Not sure I'm ready for the weather, though...

https://webcam.myortler.it/stilfserjoch

I'm sure others have more impressive stories of getting fit for a challenge - would love to hear them.

Cracking story!

10kg makes a heck of a lot of difference - good effort!

CXRAndy

Guru
The weight loss will help massively, bit also be aware Alpin type climbs require multi hour effort, so gearing plays a huge roll in being able to stay on top of the cadence.

I was on a trip about 5 years ago around Alp D Huez. There was a young fella who turned up with his race bike 53/39 crank, 11-25 cassette. He would struggle, grinding his way up the climbs, several times during the week he got in the broom wagon, shattered legs. He spent €1k on 50/34 and 11-32 cassette. Next day he flew up the Galibier(relatively) no complaints. I on the other hand had MTB gears on my road bike, with much chuckling - never did I stop or get in the broom wagon, I could spin even on the steepest gradients, albeit slower than some

Make no mistake being over 10% lighter will make a HUGE difference and you’ll feel so much more energetic on those longer climbs. They do take some getting used to though and as i now ride in the Alps at least once a month through summer with some 2000 - 4000m days you do need a different approach. In summary:

1) go early in the day (if in summer)
2) be prepared for a 20º difference between setting off and summiting
3) eat and drink on the lesser inclines, slow down and lower your HR to do so (i struggle to eat above 150bpm)
4) enjoy the scenery and take an odd pic on the way up (and have a snack)
5) be careful of fallen rocks on the road on early morning decents

Happy climbing and you’ll love the Stelvio, not my favourite but certainly up there.

Early morning gravel ride a few weeks back (yes that ridiculous steerer tube has now been cut down…)
IMG_5400.jpeg

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
So @roubaixtuesday have you made it up there , on your way up there or lost in the fog?

Hope you're having a good time regardless.

Thanks for asking! First ride today - weather forecast was a bit iffy (but ok in the end) so saved the Stelvio for tomorrow.

Still managed near 2000m climbing. Alpine descents rock, had forgotten just how great it feels.

Nice lunch spot - Rudi's Bratwurst Shack 2065m up

20230613_133426.jpg

Legs feel great!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
OK, a bit of a brag coming here, but felt like sharing and maybe it'll inspire others.

I've always fancied riding the Stelvio, and the end of Covid combined with incipient decrepitude (I'm mid fifties now) inspired the organisation of a trip, which is from next Sunday.

Of course, this required getting fit, and whilst a lot better than the previous winter, the dawning of 2023 found me about 90kg, which is too much to enjoy the alps.

So I set out to eat less and cycle more, and I have to say I've massively enjoyed the cycling part Eating less makes more difference to weight than exercising and I've done it, now being about 80kg, which is about as light as I've ever been as an adult. For anyone interested, I didn't do any kind of particular diet, just stuck religiously to normal meals, absolutely zero snacks, and was really hungry a lot of the time for 4 months, but it worked.

The cycling has been brilliant. I've not missed a single commute (20 miles round trip) and since March have been extending into the hills several times a week either morning or night. I've also managed a few really big rides, including a couple of very hilly centuries. Strava tells me I've been much quicker up my regular hills than ever before, and I've totaled 6000km, probably double my typical, maybe more.

I'd never have done this without an objective at the end, and now I feel I'm ready for the Stelvio!

Not sure I'm ready for the weather, though...

https://webcam.myortler.it/stilfserjoch

I'm sure others have more impressive stories of getting fit for a challenge - would love to hear them.

I’m sure you’ll appreciate 5C after the heat.

Jameshow

Veteran
Thanks for asking! First ride today - weather forecast was a bit iffy (but ok in the end) so saved the Stelvio for tomorrow.

Still managed near 2000m climbing. Alpine descents rock, had forgotten just how great it feels.

Nice lunch spot - Rudi's Bratwurst Shack 2065m up

View attachment 694628

Legs feel great!

Wow!

Excellent work on the weight loss, and on reaching the summit. Pics look amazing.

Which way did you go from, the Bormio side or the Prato side? And what is next on your list? The Gavia is supposed to one of the most beautiful so I guess that's coming up^_^

I'm flying over to Bormio a week today so I'll hopefully be following in your wheel tracks, and I'll be following this thread closely over the next week for pointers and recommendations.

After seeing the grim floods in Italy in recent months I've been a bit concerned about the weather, but your pics have reassured me a lot and I can't wait. Enjoy the rest of your trip and keep the pics and reports coming:okay:

Top Bottom