I'm seeking clarification about insurance when joining British Cycling.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two solicitors within the same firm can act on each parties sides but it would be very unusual and likely a breach of the bar/silk standards to act on both sides. Usually in the latter cases they can only act for one party or neither party.

Their insurance covers you if you need to make a claim against someone else but not if they make a claim against you for your wrongdoing/mistake. For example, if you knocked a wing mirror off and there was no damage to your bike or you and it wasn’t a collision..
This part is wrong.

I snagged the back of a car (driver was on the phone and didn’t see the lights case, I assumed he had and would move. Either w, my fault). Punched through the rear light cluster. Passed it on BC and they sorted it.

It's an interesting thought, but why can't the insurance company hire different law practices for each policyholder? What if two of Norwich Union's motor vehicle policyholders were claiming against each other? I can't see that this problem is unique to cycle insurance, or unprecedented.
I would guess that the reason is because motor vehicle policy holders ususally pay several hundred pounds for their policy. Then think of all the money that goes in to the 'pot' from motor policy holders who don't make claims.

Insurance companies are in busuness to make money.

@Regular.Cyclist i stand corrected, I always assumed it covered me for claiming on the insurance rather than defending an insurance claim except in the case of a counter claim. Out of interest do you now pay more for your insurance or have to go elsewhere?

Slick

Guru
This part is wrong.

I snagged the back of a car (driver was on the phone and didn’t see the lights case, I assumed he had and would move. Either w, my fault). Punched through the rear light cluster. Passed it on BC and they sorted it.

I didn't realise that. :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What if two of Norwich Union's motor vehicle policyholders were claiming against each other?

NU payout for both repairs less the excess. easier to sort out than if two ins co's involved as NU are on the hook regardless.

The only issue is fault and I assume NU would look at the facts and decide who has a fault claim for NCD purposes.

and both drivers premiums would go up, because that's what the feckers do....

presta

Guru
I would guess that the reason is because motor vehicle policy holders ususally pay several hundred pounds for their policy. Then think of all the money that goes in to the 'pot' from motor policy holders who don't make claims.

Insurance companies are in busuness to make money.
The premium is set high enough to cover the expectation (plus operating costs & profit) regardless of whether it's a motor policy or cycle or house or anything else, that's the way insurance companies make (or lose) their money.
NU payout for both repairs less the excess. easier to sort out than if two ins co's involved as NU are on the hook regardless.

The only issue is fault and I assume NU would look at the facts and decide who has a fault claim for NCD purposes.

and both drivers premiums would go up, because that's what the feckers do....
If only one driver ends up in a wheelchair, then establishing who's to blame determines whether the insurance company ends up paying millions in compensation or not.

Top Bottom