I'm so Jealous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Oh no.. they have *things* there that snack on humans, poison humans, rot humans... There's a lot to be said for living on a little island in temperate climes. Really. Believe me.

When WCMnr had done his AS-levels, he went off for a couple of weeks to the Sinai Desert, to be involved in a conservation project. He had all the jabs required before going out there. When he came back he was covered in lumps, bumps, bites.. his hands were so bad they looked like the hands of an arthritic old lady. Someone got stung by a scorpion.. someone else was charged at by big, bad, and as it turned out, poisonous spiders... in his scuba work, his dive belt fell off and he had a too fast ascend to the surface and he just avoided needing a decompression chamber.. then Israel invaded the Lebanon and there were reports of people going across said desert to join in the fight, so they had armed guards at the conservation project.

He did enjoy it though.

And he told me I wouldn't have enjoyed it due to all the crawly-bitey-things. He would be correct.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm a wildlife biologist, but I only ever get asked to work in places like Lincolnshire, Perth and Herefordshire. (I had to go to Arbroath once, but never again).

Although I have got to go to Valencia, and I've worked in the Netherlands and in Finland for a bit. No nasty bitey things in any of those places, unless you count farmers' dogs.

ChrisKH

Guru
About as wild as I get is taking the kids to GatorLand. Last time we were there, my son was five and had a thing about snakes and crawlies. "Look Dad" he said "a snake". He was standing in front of a Florida Cottonmouth. But it wasn't in a cage. :rolleyes: Fortunately one of the keepers chased it away. Snakes. Don't like 'em. Although the Snake Farm in Bangkok where they milk venom is fascinating, I'll admit.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
You're right, especially Finland. How could I have forgotten?

It's well known here that the Finnish mossies repelled the Nazis and kept the Soviet Union at bay during the cold war.

I've never been bitten by one despite spending last Summer working in Ivalo.;)

They make it up as they go along!

Buff-faced pygmy parrots, no bigger than your thumb, do not eat fruit and nuts but lichen and fungi, and they nest in termite mounds.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
wafflycat said:
Oh no.. they have *things* there that snack on humans, poison humans, rot humans... There's a lot to be said for living on a little island in temperate climes. Really. Believe me.

When WCMnr had done his AS-levels, he went off for a couple of weeks to the Sinai Desert, to be involved in a conservation project. He had all the jabs required before going out there. When he came back he was covered in lumps, bumps, bites.. his hands were so bad they looked like the hands of an arthritic old lady. Someone got stung by a scorpion.. someone else was charged at by big, bad, and as it turned out, poisonous spiders... in his scuba work, his dive belt fell off and he had a too fast ascend to the surface and he just avoided needing a decompression chamber.. then Israel invaded the Lebanon and there were reports of people going across said desert to join in the fight, so they had armed guards at the conservation project.

He did enjoy it though.

And he told me I wouldn't have enjoyed it due to all the crawly-bitey-things. He would be correct.

OMG! The kid is off there next month (hides post from her mother)

Top Bottom