I'm so Jealous

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Arbroath:
  • it's on the A92, along which it is impossible to drive without getting a speeding ticket.
  • There are only two hotels; one is always closed and the other is shite
  • There's nowhere you'd want to eat out there
  • Maybe it doesn't always rain there, but I've seen no evidence to the contrary
  • Smiling appears to be unknown
  • The location of the railway station is a carefully guarded secret. By the time you've found it, you've missed your train.

I took a field team there once. We found all the above to be true.

The hotel was like Fawlty Towers, but with none of the charm and humour. We were roundly grumbled at for having the temerity to arrive and force the staff to do some work. Doors stuck and we nearly couldn't get out. Other doors turned out to activate the alarm when you went to the loo in the night. The chef was rude at first, but later, when he'd had more to drink, he became quite friendly, it's true.

We had gone to survey farmers drilling carrots. The guy we principally went there to see was drilling at full speed when we left Yorkshire, but by the time we got there (Easter holiday weekend), the software in his tractor had crashed. They were waiting for a guy to come from Denmark to fix it, so we and the rest of his drilling team had to hang about with nothing to do in Arbroath until the Dane arrived.

If you have to stay in the Arbroath area, don't stay at the Cliffburn Hotel. Far better to have to get up an hour earlier and stay at the Airlie Arms in Kirriemuir.

We moved there.

Top Bottom