I'm the smidsy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

After the club ride this morning, I approached a T junction. Unclip, stop, check right, check left - all clear. Pull out and start to clip in... then see the bonnet of a car to my right - fortunately slowing to a stop and letting me out!

I'm stunned. How did I not see him? I looked to my right and the road was clear, I remember looking down to a corner that was a couple of hundred yards down, so I know I looked - I simply didn't see the car. How, I don't know. Damned frightening. Thank god his was doing a sensible speed and on the look out for pillocks not looking!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Were you looking where you expected to see a vehicle, rather than checking the entire road ?

OP
OP
Y

yello

Who knows. Possible. I looked. Perhaps too far because I remember the corner... maybe I just didn't see the car the was within 50m!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think we've all done similar, whether cycling or driving. Bloody frightening and it makes you concentrate in future.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Smokin Joe said:
I think we've all done similar

I was kind of hoping so! I feel enough of a plank as it is ;)

But it is bloody frightening... how you can look and not see.

gratts said:
Could he not have pulled out from an out-of-view driveway or road?

I did consider that as there were a few driveways between me and that corner.... but I'm looking for excuses. Truth is, I got it wrong.

mickle

innit
Mrs M did just that in front of a car doing 40mph a few years ago, writing off her Mondeo in the process. Very scary indeed.

Kirstie

Über Member
I've done this too. Luckily my riding mate saw the car and shouted to me to stop. It was a grey BMW doing about 60mph on a grey day on a grey road...approaching over the brow of the hill where the road is obscured by a hedge.

spandex

I love Dr D
Good to know that your all right

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
yello said:
After the club ride this morning, I approached a T junction. Unclip, stop, check right, check left - all clear. Pull out and start to clip in

Thankfully you're in one piece!
Can I ask if you were turning left or right?

Dayvo

just passin' through
tdr1nka said:
Can I ask if you were turning left or right?

Can I ask if you were just leaving the bar after a pernod stop? :tongue::evil:

Glad you're OK. Call it Alzheimers Lite!

Top Bottom