I'm thinking of getting a hybrid....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScottyB

Hello!

I am getting quite into my cycling so want a bike that is reliable, good for commuting a few miles per day, fun to ride 20-40 miles per week around town and maybe have the potential to do a Sportive. Any advise would be much appreciated as I am off to make my purchase this weekend and hope to get the best for my money.

I think I will go for a hybrid but most of my riding will be on the road and think the main decision to make comes down to the forks and brakes, for example should I prioritise a lock-out fork on a hybrid or should I be after disc brakes? Is there much to worry about with gears and should I look for anything else - or avoid anything!

Any pointers would be much appreciated

Thank you!

Scott

Longshot

I have a Specialzed Sirrus Elite that I am very pleased with since I bought it in February. It's a fast, fun hybrid for the roads.

vickster

Legendary Member
If riding on the road, don't worry about suspension, may not need disc brakes either unless going to be riding much in the wet

Is there a specific reason why you have discounted a drop bar roadbike?

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

Hi Vickster

Not really, why do you say that? To be honest, I think I actually really want a road bike, but need to make the leap of faith!

The staff in some (good) shops have pointed me towards a hybrid. I literally ride to work on the road (so perhaps in the wet, like tonight...) and then any other rides I do are road based - I would rarely (if ever) go off road - suppose I want to keep the option.

I guess with a hybrid I could fit mudguards for winter commuting (sorry if that is a controvertial topic!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Best to look at the fast hybrids like the Specialized Sirrus, Giant Rapid, Trek 7.x, Ridgback Flight

Depending on your budget, as a leftfield option, I have always been rather taken by the Whyte Cambridge - looks great, disc brakes, good groupset, British company

All should take full mudguards, absolutely indispensible for winter commuting

I have had 5 hybrids over the last few years, now 2 roadbikes- one alu commuter with mudguards and rack and one unadorned 'best' carbon

(and an MTB with disc brakes)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
To be honest, I think I actually really want a road bike, but need to make the leap of faith!

I guess with a hybrid I could fit mudguards for winter commuting (sorry if that is a controvertial topic!)

If you want a road bike but also want it capable and mudguard clearance, have you considered a cyclocross bike. These are designed for off road use so are plenty tough, some are available with disc brakes if you wish and mudguards are no problem.

An example here: Link

pac-man

are you looking at hybrids because you want a flat bar bike?

there are many flat bar road bikes out there, whats your budget?
ive just ordered this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-tachyon-2-2012/ a fantastic bike with its discount. (no pic on wiggle but if you google the bike, lots of sites have it marked at full rrp.
I have the GT Tachyon 2 2011, and have used for a year, as a 210 mile per week commute bike.
good frame, carbon forks, and a comfortable ride position. but the most important feature is it road bike components (not MTB components) making it a good alround fast cruiser.

ps only brought the 2012 model as i recently got knocked off mine. so replacing it.

OP
OP
ScottyB

ScottyB

Wow - awesome advise, thank you all.

I am thinking that I could get something decent for £400-£500 so hopefully with a few accessories be done for £550. Particulalry as some of those bikes in the links look great for way less that I thought I could get those specs for.

Trouble is the nearest Evans is about 80 miles away but as I am in Bournemouth I will be off to Primera.

Should I pay too much attention to which shop - for instance I am NOT going to Halfords, but presumably once someone who knows what they are doing has built the bike I should do going pretty well?

defy-one

I bought a sirrus elite last week for £539. Carbon fork and a real do it all steed.
Tyre choice will determine where i go with it. Currently has road like tyres. As the weather gets colder i will put knobblies on and use it offroad

Longshot

I bought a sirrus elite last week for £539. Carbon fork and a real do it all steed.
Tyre choice will determine where i go with it. Currently has road like tyres. As the weather gets colder i will put knobblies on and use it offroad

I haven't taken my off road yet, other than the smoothest of tow paths. I'm not sure how it's going to be on anything more gnarly.

defy-one

Bridal paths and long grass were fine with stock tyres. I thought being a roadie was fun ..... Enjoying the dirty side as well :rolleyes:

Cyclist33

Bridal paths and long grass were fine with stock tyres. I thought being a roadie was fun ..... Enjoying the dirty side as well :rolleyes:

Roadie is more satisfying in number-crunchy terms and for getting long distances. But off-road is FAR more fun! To be honest, I dunno why road cycling is known as "the dark side", when it's quite clear that the danger, buzz and downright illness in cycling happens when you're in amongst the mud and rocks.

Top Bottom