I'm worried about the bird!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Rigid Raider said:
Anybody else got a favourite bird?

OK then proper birds and not lasses off the telly:
I get genuine pleasure from watching the housemartins who nest on our house each summer... it's fantastic to watch them swooping out of the nest, zooming out over the river, chasing each other etc.... also get swifts, who are the elite racers of the bird world. For sound, I love the Lapwing... hear them a lot when out cycling... can hear them here:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/l/lapwing/index.asp

Maz

Guru
I'm gonna have to try and record this blankety-blank birdsong and post it on here for y'all to listen to.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Maz said:
There's a bird in our back garden that makes a tweet and tune just like the opening bars of the classic 80's gameshow Blankety-Blank.

What bird is it?

I think I need more to go on like colour, size etc

It could be a game (show) bird though!

I love the sound of curlews too but my garden favourite is a green woodpecker which visits us every so often

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Maz, that RSPB website I've linked has great little sound recordings of all the birds. You might find your gameshow bird there.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
yello said:
Is this Cathy?

countdown.jpg
Yes, that's the one! Though in this pic she looks like Brian Connolly out of Sweet in drag....

Maz

Guru
rich p said:
I think I need more to go on like colour, size etc
I've only ever heard it, not seen it. I'll listen to the recordings on the RSPB website and see if I can identify it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Most bird noises (delightful though they are) fall into 3 categories
a) gaaaark! gaaaaark!
:biggrin: tootle tootle
c) swannee whistle-type

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
which bird is it that sounds like a guinea pig?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
alecstilleyedye said:

Probably the house martin - pairs particularly twitter and chunter to one another. Like Fnaar, I love watching them swoop and chase round the house. A pair nested over our bedroom window, in a rather raggy construction with a side entrance, about three years ago and raised two clutches of young, leaving the nest for their return. Next two years they were evicted by sparrows. The spuggys tried again this year but as soon as they took up residence I knocked the nest down. Over the b/h week the Martins rebuilt it, this time with a small central entrance, access to which I hope is beyond the aerial skills of a sparrow.

wafflycat

alecstilleyedye said:

The male pheasant that comes into my garden does a rather good guinea pig impersonation. He's got that guinea pig low- grade squeak perfect when he's picking up the food I put out for him.

Edit: my hens can purr

longers

Legendary Member
Maz said:
The guinea fowl, of course.
pic_bali_guineafowl.jpg

I saw one of those having a fight with a hare the other day/week. Can't remember where i was riding but I startled the hare and it ran into a gateway to be attacked by a guinea fowl :biggrin:.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Maz said:
I've only ever heard it, not seen it. I'll listen to the recordings on the RSPB website and see if I can identify it.

A song thrush makes all sort of sounds and songs but tends to repeat each one at least once.

Top Bottom