Imagine a guide like this in UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Photos from a cycle touring magazine covering the equivalent of one Prefecture or County in Japan. Maps, area guides, food. Classy magazine.

Attachments

• 20220426_071437.jpg
    20220426_071437.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220426_071511.jpg
    20220426_071511.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 5

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We used to have two or three glossy small booklets with maps, food stops and accommodation lists covering Norfolk (one Norwich and around, one Sandringham and the Norfolk Coast AONB and I think the other one was Great Yarmouth and the Broads), but I think they went out of print over 15 years ago.

More recently, they've just put up map boards in car parks and cycle parks with QR codes pointing at pages like https://www.norfolkcoastaonb.org.uk/active-map/cycle-route-docking-loop/

I've mixed feeling about printing glossy dead tree. I'd rather whoever funds these things first got proper route signs up instead of expecting all cyclists to load things onto a sat nav or smartphone.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Or like this from Denmark. On sale at bookshops and supermarkets all over Denmark. It also has a webpage where you can download all the gpx tracks to your phone . 250 page of some great routes. It cost about
£10..

Attachments

• 20220426_174736.jpg
    20220426_174736.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220426_174824.jpg
    20220426_174824.jpg
    271.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
We used to have two or three glossy small booklets with maps, food stops and accommodation lists covering Norfolk (one Norwich and around, one Sandringham and the Norfolk Coast AONB and I think the other one was Great Yarmouth and the Broads), but I think they went out of print over 15 years ago.

More recently, they've just put up map boards in car parks and cycle parks with QR codes pointing at pages like https://www.norfolkcoastaonb.org.uk/active-map/cycle-route-docking-loop/

I've mixed feeling about printing glossy dead tree. I'd rather whoever funds these things first got proper route signs up instead of expecting all cyclists to load things onto a sat nav or smartphone.

I do agree mjr, Japan does do massive recycling but still I agree and my intent was more to point out enthusiastic and thorough approach to cycling in general.

Genuinely an excellent magazine, routes, food, camping. Everything for the aspiring touring cyclist could ask for

There are similar in NL and (I'm pretty sure) Germany as well.

I know it's not your thing but there are quite a lot of online resources.

Cycle.Travel does fairly detailed reviews of some routes by people who have done them. Read, print and follow.

I know Komoot are pushing that side of things too as are RWGPS.

BikePacking.com do it for off-road routes with lots of essential details. It's pretty hardcore, though.

Again, I understand that online is not really your thing but there is a lot of information out there.

I'd imagine that locally Facebook groups are good too.

The thing is that there is little money in printed guides and they can go out of date quickly. Sometimes local enthusiasts are far better (and contactable) than a commercial publication.

There's an interesting (and tough) route through the mountains in Spain that's in the back of my mind. Put together by one guy with the support of a biking community. A full, dual language guide, food & accommodation stops, route variations (for bad weather). Wonderful offers of help, advice and assistance from people who have done it. A friendly, online community.

Looking forward to getting back and riding next year or possibly the year after.
In Japan? :becool:

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There are similar in NL and (I'm pretty sure) Germany as well.

I know it's not your thing but there are quite a lot of online resources.

Cycle.Travel does fairly detailed reviews of some routes by people who have done them. Read, print and follow.

I know Komoot are pushing that side of things too as are RWGPS.

BikePacking.com do it for off-road routes with lots of essential details. It's pretty hardcore, though.

Again, I understand that online is not really your thing but there is a lot of information out there.

I'd imagine that locally Facebook groups are good too.

The thing is that there is little money in printed guides and they can go out of date quickly. Sometimes local enthusiasts are far better (and contactable) than a commercial publication.

There's an interesting (and tough) route through the mountains in Spain that's in the back of my mind. Put together by one guy with the support of a biking community. A full, dual language guide, food & accommodation stops, route variations (for bad weather). Wonderful offers of help, advice and assistance from people who have done it. A friendly, online community.

In Japan? :becool:

I am gradually realising that I am a dinosaur and may have to relent on certain online things no matter how much I distrust the systems and not being able to put in on a shelf or physically pick it up. Yes in Japan I know it well and love the country, people a great deal.

I am gradually realising that I am a dinosaur and may have to relent on certain online things no matter how much I distrust the systems and not being able to put in on a shelf or physically pick it up. Yes in Japan I know it well and love the country, people a great deal.

There are simple, small things that you can do to protect yourself and increase confidence.
For one, a throwaway email address that is only used for the places you don't feel comfortable.
I'm sure a local library/adult learning centre will have courses on the Internet and online safety
And there are definitely books you could buy^_^

A book or a magazine is great for browsing, for flicking open a page and getting inspired. There's no reason that you can't make your own "magazine" and browse online (not as good) or even print! (Better!)

Japan sounds epic! So far away in every sense of the word!

Happy planning!

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
There are simple, small things that you can do to protect yourself and increase confidence.
For one, a throwaway email address that is only used for the places you don't feel comfortable.
I'm sure a local library/adult learning centre will have courses on the Internet and online safety
And there are definitely books you could buy^_^

A book or a magazine is great for browsing, for flicking open a page and getting inspired. There's no reason that you can't make your own "magazine" and browse online (not as good) or even print! (Better!)

Japan sounds epic! So far away in every sense of the word!

Happy planning!

Japan is exactly that Hobbes, Epic. Definitely the safest country I have ever been in and the people are extraordinarily helpful in so many ways.

Top Bottom